Female not Ovulating

Jeanne

Abbie's Human
Ok, I have this one female that is 16 months old and hasn't ovulated yet. This may be a silly question, but is there any way to stimulate the female into ovulating? She is probably about 80 grams, she is a BIG girl, not fat, but thick or muscular.

Here's an older picture, I will get a new picture and her weight tonight.

f_rscross_2.jpg

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
I'm having the same problem myself with two of my girls, and I figured being in a room full on pheromones would do the trick... but it didn't. I tried putting amale inwith one of them thinking that might stimulate her to ovulate, but all they did was fight because she wasn't ready. Arrrggghhhh!

J

Jedi Master Bruce

Yes. I have one gorgeous but stubborn female that just can't get gravid. What should I do?

RaiQuee

Stripes are in!
I know light cycles also help, you can try cooling her down for a month or so then bringing her back up :D Sometimes the constant hot spot we give, doesn't always get them going.

When i was having issues with ovulating females, Jeremy told me to point some bright lights at my rack, so that my light cycle wasn't messed up. Well then we had a bunch of warm nights in a row, and the females started ovulating so I haven't had to try that yet. I'm sure it works well when they are in a room that has lights and serves another function (like a living room, or bedroom in our case)

Ian S.

I've been having the same problem this year as well. My gecko are finally starting now that the weather has seemed to warm up. However they are kept at 90 degrees year round on the warm side and 80 degrees on the cooler side. I ponder what a key role barometric pressure may play in the stimulation of ovulation. With warmer weather the barometric pressure obviously rises. Just a thought.:main_robin:

Last edited:

robin

i know barometric presure can cause pregnancies in humans and in boas (actually giving birth) but im not for sure about actual ovulatiuon ... as a last resort perhaps light some candles and put on some barry white??

ExcessiveHerps

Leo Addict
I've done pretty good with introducing females to males even if they wheren't receptive th first few times trying daily they'd normaly start developing follicles within a couple weeks.

J

Jedi Master Bruce

All excellent advice! I prefer to begin introducing the male to the females in December, because I like to fatten-up the leos all summer and fall. I only want to use one special male to mate up to 100 females. The females are all kept in separate sweater boxes. I move the male to a different female's cage once per day starting in December. Therefore it could take up to 100 days to rotate him back to the same female.

This seems to work OK, but I am fairly sure I do not get nearly the number of egg production as some of you. The male is probably around 5-6 years old or a little more. Should I be doing something different? Thanks!

ExcessiveHerps

Leo Addict
Jedi Master Bruce said:
All excellent advice! I prefer to begin introducing the male to the females in December, because I like to fatten-up the leos all summer and fall. I only want to use one special male to mate up to 100 females. The females are all kept in separate sweater boxes. I move the male to a different female's cage once per day starting in December. Therefore it could take up to 100 days to rotate him back to the same female.

This seems to work OK, but I am fairly sure I do not get nearly the number of egg production as some of you. The male is probably around 5-6 years old or a little more. Should I be doing something different? Thanks!
100 females and onyl 1 male your working on 1 project? I'd think a male that age wouldn't be as nice as some you could get nowadays was it you thank bought about 1 dozen high end tangs from TUG spending about 10k on the group?

J

Jedi Master Bruce

Hi Xavier! The male I have been using is Kelli Hammack's "Flame" that I purchased for $1500 2 years ago. The babies he produces are fantastic, as nice as Urban Gecko's Tangerine Tornados. Yes, I did purchase 2.7 Tornados from Urban for around $12,000 one year ago. One male is probably somewhat better than Kelli's Flame with around 80 percent carrot-tail.

I have been staying with Flame as the main stud because he has proven to throw superior offspring, almost always. The Urban Tornado will breed with maybe 30 females this December. I will then cross Hammack to Urban Tornados in an attempt to get the most orange/red leos possible.

ExcessiveHerps

Leo Addict
Jedi Master Bruce said:
Hi Xavier! The male I have been using is Kelli Hammack's "Flame" that I purchased for $1500 2 years ago. The babies he produces are fantastic, as nice as Urban Gecko's Tangerine Tornados. Yes, I did purchase 2.7 Tornados from Urban for around $12,000 one year ago. One male is probably somewhat better than Kelli's Flame with around 80 percent carrot-tail.

I have been staying with Flame as the main stud because he has proven to throw superior offspring, almost always. The Urban Tornado will breed with maybe 30 females this December. I will then cross Hammack to Urban Tornados in an attempt to get the most orange/red leos possible.
Very nice can't go wrong with a leo from Kelli, so SHTCTB is the only line you work with I take it? So I'm thinking your producing 800 plus offspring yearly how is it I haven't notice any forsale from you :p

J

Jedi Master Bruce

Ahhh. I did very limited breeding last year to get the females' weights up high. I will begin full-scale matings this December, and will have many more babies than I can keep. I have 99 percent super hypo carrot-tail baldies and a few Taino and A&M Hybinos to make orange/red hybinos hopefully. I have one female APTOR that I couldn't resist buying from Joanne (a guy?) on Kingsnake to work into the project. All the females were bought from many members of the leo forums using Kingsnake.

Visit our friends