Field Herping in the Everglades

fl_orchidslave

I wouldn't mind scouting down there if the opportunity ever presented itself. Used to mess around in some swamps in north central FL, looking at gators (sometimes a little too closely), watching eagles soar.. just poking around where there wasn't any people. I love the swamps but have a tendency to stay on the drier areas. Then again, I always hit the swamps alone and had to be prepared for anything, which I was not comfortable with in the water :)

Thanks for posting the link, good stuff :)

clemsonguy1125

No problem, a while ago I read a article on a fish forum about people getting permits and catching the released pets and rehoming them. Ive heard some stuff about people trying something similair with snake but have no idea if it ever got off the ground.

fl_orchidslave

No problem, a while ago I read a article on a fish forum about people getting permits and catching the released pets and rehoming them. Ive heard some stuff about people trying something similair with snake but have no idea if it ever got off the ground.

There have been, I think, 13 permits issued for hunting snakes in the Everglades. Numbers 1, 2, and 3 are some well known snake breeders in the reptile circles, and NatGeo Wild has a series called The Python Hunters, that documented some of their journeys. It's a good show and the guys are quite entertaining while presenting important facts as to what has happened with the burmese population and others. There were three episodes done last year and 6 is on the slate for this year. Recently they shot in Puerto Rico, so it's gained enough popularity to expand the horizon. That episode included an addition to their crew, my vet, who is from PR and knows the areas to go herping. So, yes, the permits did happen. Hopefully more evidence will be acknowledged by lawmakers!

gixxer3420

A lot of really neat pics in there, I didnt see any leopard geckos but did see a bunch of different leopard geckos species in his pics. That was a great post.

clemsonguy1125

Thanks for the info. At first look I thought this was a leo but looking back it may not be.
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaf.jpg

Visit our friends