Fire Bellied Newts???

jemjdragon

Okay so I went to our local private pet shop, and the had what looked like fire bellied newts! I thought it would be awesome to have a pair of them, but I want to know if keeping them with community fish is okay?
The tank is about 10 gallons, has 5 porkchop rasboras, 1 cory (don't remember what type, but it is supposed to stay small), 1 large ivory snail, and 2 small angel fish which will be moved out to a bigger tank as they grow. The aquarium is in the process of being planted with live plants so its not completely planted. It has natural gravel. There is a terracotta pot in it (turned on its side as a hide). it also has a semi-submergable filter, an air stone tube, and as a heater that keeps the temperature to about 78*F to 80*F.
Would it be okay to have a par of these newts in these conditions? Or are there small things that need to be changed (slightly different temp, etc)?

Thank you for any input.

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
The newts will do much better with cooler temps, 60s and 70s are preferred, extended periods above 80 can be fatal. Another thing to consider is that newts all produce toxins, and these can be harmful to other tanks inhabitants as they build up.

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
I agree with Tony. The majority of newt species are cool water animals, and therefore don't have the same requirements as tropical fish. They also do exude toxins(all amphibians do to some degree) and there's a pretty good chance such chemicals would kill your fish or at least make them ill. If you want to keep newts, set up a seperate tank just for them.

RampantReptiles

Need room temp or cool water tank.
Very clean water with little flow.
A way of getting out of the water, partial land set up.
Secure top because they can climb out of very small spaces.
Do not like fish in their water, will steer clear of fish and dont like to mix.

Fire Bellied Newts need a species only tank.

jemjdragon

Alright, thank you all for the input. Today, when I went to the shop, the two newts were sold. Anyways, maybe in the furture I may setup my extra tank for some newts. But for now I'm good with my aquarium. =]

Visit our friends