First poo- what next?

TigressSnow

My first hatchling finally shed (three days) so now I'm wondering- what next? How many pinheads? Should I offer then tonight or wait until tomorrow? She's always had water. Thank you!

Neon Aurora

Pinheads are crazy small. Hatchling leopard geckos can easily handle 3-4 week old crickets (what the stores call medium).

You can offer food whenever you want (I usually offer at night because it just makes sense), but don't be surprised if she doesn't eat yet. It can take some geckos a while to get the hang of it. One of my current hatchlings is eating like a champ (although it took her about 2 weeks to decide she wanted to eat well). The other I have resorted to holding and poking with worms because after 3 weeks she still won't eat on her own.

So my point is that my experience so far (which is small compared to many) is that all hatchlings are different, and some can be very finicky and require extra care. I choose not to be concerned until 2 weeks has passed, though.

Make sure to offer calcium in a bowl.

TigressSnow

calcium in a bowl- thank you! being added now, i knew adults and juvies were supposed to have it (and all of mine do :) ) but i did not know hatchlings did too! also, i offered a cricket (they arent pinheads, i thought that was what the slightly larger ones were called, theyre about 1/4 inch?) and she freaked right out at its hopping. i will be picking up mealworms to try offering them as well :) we just had another baby hatch tonight! it gets busy fast!

Visit our friends