First trouble after 4 years

FarAway9

Dear all,

I am new to this forum and I hope some of you can help me.
I got my leopard gecko four years ago. He was a rescued adult male, used for breeding, very thin and full of parasites. I took care of him and he is not a lively and chubby.

About 10 days ago I had to rehome my milk snake due to him overgrowing his enclosure (PS I rehomed it at my friend who knows about snakes more than me and actually even paid for the huge enclosure, so the milky is OK. I live in small place and I could not fit the new terrarium). Now I was left with this enclosure with base - 86x35cm (33.8 inches x 13.7 inches) and quite high 95 cm. I decided to give my leo an update in the enclosure size.

I cleaned the enclosure of the milksnake well (water, vinegar, steam), took out everything including the wallpaper and added new things. I used hides from his old enclosure including some slate tile so that there are familiar smells. I used some dried reptile moss, and other things he was in contact during his life. The picture of the enclosure:
20220325_221351.jpg

After I moved him he was exploring, he ate, he pooped, saw him licking the calcium powder. Then he ate again but did not poop. He was using all hides, including the second floor.
I have a picture of him on his way up. PS he did not fall, left side is safe, right side is a bit higher but there is a thick layer of moss under it but he uses only the bridge.

climb.jpg

It has been 6 days and no poop and I am worried. I put some droplets of water on his nose and he licked them up but he did not look interested for water. I am using his old water dish and it is close to his warm side.

Temperatures 32'C (89.6F) warm side, 25'C cold side (77F), in my room 24 'C. reptile heating pads with thermostats of course. The enclosure has 6% UVA UVB but I did not turn it on because I didn't want more stress. He has calcium with D3, and multivitamin powder, I give him bottled water (low mineral one), he is eating dubia roaches, mealworms, crickets, sometimes superworms, I try to keep it warried but he actually dictates what he want to eat - he changes his diet from time to time. Luckily he is not a big fan of superworms. He has a humid hide. Moisture level in the enclosure is 30%.

He is active, if I open the glass he comes to me. I offered him food, on day 3, as I always do, he was not interested, then I checked the poop hide, and nothing there....

Also I don't think he ingested anything, I know the moss looks like he can eat it but it is dried in thigh carpet, I actually vaccumed it before adding and he can only eat a chunk if he bites it and intentionally eats it. It is not in hides. I also hand feed him to avoid any accidents and he is a bit spoiled and prefers hand feeding. I did not see any bitten parts in moss, and this one does not expand in water.

Is it possible he is holding the poop? Or I did something wrong?
Tomorrow is day 7 I just looked in his hide (evening time where I live) and no poop still.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
He's in a new an gorgeous enclosure with many places to hide poops. There's a chance he is going but he's found a place to do it that you haven't found yet. He also may be reacting to a new place by holding on to his poops. I've had geckos not poop for 2 weeks or more with no problem. I recommend you give his enclosure a good look to see if there's poop in there that you're not seeing (especially look inside the hides. Some of my geckos prefer to use them as an "outhouse"). If you're really worried you can give him a warm soak or a single drop of olive oil or mineral oil.

Aliza

FarAway9

He's in a new an gorgeous enclosure with many places to hide poops. There's a chance he is going but he's found a place to do it that you haven't found yet. He also may be reacting to a new place by holding on to his poops. I've had geckos not poop for 2 weeks or more with no problem. I recommend you give his enclosure a good look to see if there's poop in there that you're not seeing (especially look inside the hides. Some of my geckos prefer to use them as an "outhouse"). If you're really worried you can give him a warm soak or a single drop of olive oil or mineral oil.

Aliza
Thank you very much Aliza.

I gave him a warm bath and looked through whole enclosure but no poop. But this morning finally, nice formed poop with chalky white urates. I was so happy to see that. He used his cave he always does.
However he has been active in the enclosure even trying to climb on two occasions but he did not eat. So 8 days no food.
The only thing that might be is that usually at this time he is known to go crazy for two or three weeks - roaming around, climbing, little to no eating. And then it all stops and he eats like crazy. Only thing that comes to mind is that he wants to mate. He was used for mating for years before I took him in.

Hoping for the best. He was eating nicely for 2 meals after tranfer.

FarAway9

THIS IS NOT A GOOD SETUP!!! Just dropping in to say my gecko was great until 9th of June when he shed during the night. Then he stopped eating again. He vomited just now, and there is half digested moss in it!!! He probably is impacted with moss! I will take it all out today. Never use this dam moss as a substrate. I am giving him a warm bath and I gave him one drop of olive oil which he licked off. Abdomen is not extended I hope for the best...

Visit our friends