Food?

The lizards

Hi guys!
I was wondering what type of food you feed babies right out of the egg. I heard super small mealworms but I wasn't sure. Also what supplements do you use for newborn babies?

Herpin Man

It depends on the species. For fat tailed geckos, I feed small dubias.
For mourning geckos, fruit flies and Pangea. For Paroedura, I use “mini” mealworms.
For supplements, I like Reptivite, but not until after the first few meals.

The lizards

It depends on the species. For fat tailed geckos, I feed small dubias.
For mourning geckos, fruit flies and Pangea. For Paroedura, I use “mini” mealworms.
For supplements, I like Reptivite, but not until after the first few meals.
Thank you! I was thinking leopard geckos. How often should I feed calcium with/without d3 and multivitam?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
When I was breeding leopard geckos, I decided to feed all my hatchlings on mealworms due to having cage dividers and being concerned that small crickets might migrate from section to section. This worked out fine. I was breeding mealworms at the time, so it was easy to pick out the smaller ones for the newly hatched. They don't really have to be super small, just not huge. These little guys can handle bigger prey then you'd think (I once had a 10 gram hatchling eating near full-sized super worms with no problems). I would sprinkle Repashy Calcium Plus on the mealworms. At some point I found that a few of the hatchlings were showing some signs of MBD so I started keeping a milk bottle lid of the Repashy in their enclosures. Once it was gone I didn't replace it. The MBD signs cleared up right away and I had no further problems. My theory is that some hatchlings either weren't getting the dusted worms, or were a bit slow on calcium/D3 absorption and needed some extra.

Aliza

The lizards

When I was breeding leopard geckos, I decided to feed all my hatchlings on mealworms due to having cage dividers and being concerned that small crickets might migrate from section to section. This worked out fine. I was breeding mealworms at the time, so it was easy to pick out the smaller ones for the newly hatched. They don't really have to be super small, just not huge. These little guys can handle bigger prey then you'd think (I once had a 10 gram hatchling eating near full-sized super worms with no problems). I would sprinkle Repashy Calcium Plus on the mealworms. At some point I found that a few of the hatchlings were showing some signs of MBD so I started keeping a milk bottle lid of the Repashy in their enclosures. Once it was gone I didn't replace it. The MBD signs cleared up right away and I had no further problems. My theory is that some hatchlings either weren't getting the dusted worms, or were a bit slow on calcium/D3 absorption and needed some extra.

Aliza
Thanks! Do I have to use multivitamin or anything?

Visit our friends