Frustrated with Information

scarlett1784

Ok. So I am hearing different things from different sources.
Temperature: What is it suppose to be on the hot side and cool side?
I have an under tank heater that stays about 91, air temp on hot side is around 87 and cool side around 77.
Diet: Do they need varity, i.e. crickets, worms, etc.?
I have a picky gecko that will only eat crickets, doesn't seem to associate that worms are food. I have heard that this can cause constipation due to the large amount of chitin.
Are there any tricks or suggestions to get my AFT to try to eat worms or at least realize they are food?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Just as there are many ways to raise kids, though there are some clear no-no's (like don't leave your 2 year old alone in the house), there is a variety of how to care for geckos. If you read a bunch of caresheets (try googling "fat tail care"), you'll see that there are differences, but the information that's repeated over and over again is the most correct. That said, I'll give you my opinion about your questions and try to give a sense of the range of responses:

Temperature: most people recommend a floor temp of at least the low 90's on the hot side. Some people go for the mid-90's and I think there was one person who preferred the high 90's but that is not common. Some people prefer to keep their reptile room warm. I don't worry about air temps on either side as long as my house is a temp that's habitable for humans.

Food: most people feel that variety is good, but, I have to say, most fat tails won't touch worms and there's just nothing you can do about it. It may be worth it to try superworms; some of mine have had a passing interest and even sampled one or two. I think I've had some limited luck with silkworms as well. You could always try roaches. Mine are happy with crickets and are large and healthy. I have not had any problems with constipation and I think it's actually more likely to happen with mealworms.

Aliza

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
Ok. So I am hearing different things from different sources.
Temperature: What is it suppose to be on the hot side and cool side?
I have an under tank heater that stays about 91, air temp on hot side is around 87 and cool side around 77.
Diet: Do they need varity, i.e. crickets, worms, etc.?
I have a picky gecko that will only eat crickets, doesn't seem to associate that worms are food. I have heard that this can cause constipation due to the large amount of chitin.
Are there any tricks or suggestions to get my AFT to try to eat worms or at least realize they are food?

Temps: I keep my babies at 91'F and my adults at 90'F (this is what the thermostat is set to run the heat tape at, so the inside floor temps are cooler). As for the cool end, during the winter, my room can drop into the 40's on cold Florida nights, and I have no problems.

As for the diet part...variety is not the Key...It is QUANTITY along with proper supplementation. I have Fat Tails that have eaten crickets all their lives and they have grown and reproduce just fine for me every year. You will never be able to replace the variety they get in the wild, which is why supplementation in captivity is so important. As for the whole worm thing, it has been touched in plenty other threads. Fat Tails can be tricky to switch and to get started on Mealworms or Superworms..If this is a big deal for someone, I would recommend buying from a breeder who has already been giving them a diet of worms. However worms can be to fatty... and remember A fat Fat Tail, is not a healthy one.

Carinata

Breeder of High End AFTs
I personally house all of my adults in 6qt boxes from Iris, with newspaper, a water dish and a humid hide (with a 50/50 peat moss and vermiculite mix). I use back heat and keep my adults around 90F. My babies I house with plain paper towel in pencil box racks from Reptile Basics. I spray the paper towel every other day and they do fine.

I feed a little different from any other AFT breeders. I use Lateralis Roaches as a staple. I hate crickets with a fiery passion, and refuse to keep them at my house. Lateralis move enough to get the geckos attention, they don't stink and the babies take to them no problem. I feed adults every day during breeding season, every 3 during the off season. Babies get fed everyday. I have found dusting isn't essential when using roaches, but I have begun using it again on roaches just to give them that extra boost.

cherishedtiger

I was the same way when I got my first duo... And like acpart stated, you just kinda take it all in and go from there. And what works for yours, might not work for someone elses and visaversa. You will eventually (through all the info you are sure to find) figure out what works best for your guys and go from there. Always keep an open mind as info changes and comes and goes just about as quickly as you find it! But these guys on here know their AFT's and what works and what doesnt.

Visit our friends