Gargoyle gecko humidity

Snarbleglarf

Hello, this is my first post here and my very first terrarium.
I do not have the gecko yet but I’m in the middle of building his habitat which consists of:
2” of hydroballs with screen mesh to separate substrate from hydroballs
Substrate: equal parts, cocofiber, reptibark, reptisoil, and sphagnum moss as well as maple leaves layering the surface
Plants: Prayer plant, Pothos, Dracaena Deremensis, Begonia Rex, and Peperomia Prostrata
Wood: cork tile background, cork rounds and grapevine wood
Cleanup crew: dwarf grey isopods, dwarf white isopods, springtails

I’m having trouble with my humidity I know the gargoyle gecko should be kept at 70% humidity and when I woke up this morning at 7:45 it was at 74% which I assume is within normal parameters but after I mist the terrarium it jumps to 90% over the span of an hour and has remained in the high to mid 80s for the past 2 hours and just went back down to 74% at 12pm . Is it ok for it to remain this high for that long? I don’t want to cause any respiratory issues when I finally get my gecko but I also don’t know how to control my humidity to get it and keep it where it needs to be. Also for the temperature should I be going off of the actual temperature or the “Feels like temp” my fiancé said it would “feel like” 78 degrees but I thought I needed to go off the actual temperature in the terrarium.
Any info is appreciated! Thank you!! 90F49ADA-AB0D-433D-B4B0-3DFBAF5C8F8F.jpeg

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I feel that many of these geckos are tolerant of a wider range of temperatures even though there is an ideal. Your well-planted enclosure will help hold humidity in general and the lights you have for the plants will reduce the humidity. The gauge on the top is probably not that accurate. I have 4 cages of gargoyles. I mist the enclosures every evening and don't really worry about measuring the humidity. Everyone is doing fine. Their birth dates range from 2009-2017. One other thing to be aware of is that the gargoyle may end up mashing the plants. I have never been successful keeping plants in my gargoyle enclosures, but it may work for you.

Aliza

Snarbleglarf

I feel that many of these geckos are tolerant of a wider range of temperatures even though there is an ideal. Your well-planted enclosure will help hold humidity in general and the lights you have for the plants will reduce the humidity. The gauge on the top is probably not that accurate. I have 4 cages of gargoyles. I mist the enclosures every evening and don't really worry about measuring the humidity. Everyone is doing fine. Their birth dates range from 2009-2017. One other thing to be aware of is that the gargoyle may end up mashing the plants. I have never been successful keeping plants in my gargoyle enclosures, but it may work for you.

Aliza
Thank you! The plants I have are pretty though other than the purple one in the front so I will just adjust the terrarium to suit the geckos needs but that’s good to know about the humidity gauge, I do plan on getting a digital one sometime soon. I will also be misting the enclosure between evening and night since I heard higher humidity is best at night. Thank you for the input :)

Visit our friends