Gecko biting each other

bmwtwin2

hi i've had two albino fat tail gecko's together for a little over a month now we got told they were perfectly fine together they are a breeding pair so we've put them straight together and they've been fine all the time we've had them. the female will only eat mealworm and the male hasn't eaten at all since we've had him. the viv temp stays around 31 at the hot end and we have two hides in the one at the cooler end and one on the heat mat which has eco earth in it which is the shed box. last night i fed the female like i normally do the male was in one of the hides. when she'd finished eating she went inside the same hide as him and he started shaking his tail at her i heard this and lifted the lid he had hold of her near her back end. i thought that this was just a one off thing and that he was being a bit grumpy as he's not eating or maybe teritorial so i thought he might of been telling her off. i seperated them and put them both in the seperate hides and it seemed to settle down but about 11pm they'd both came out of the caves and started biting each other again this time it looked even more aggresive then before. i hev take the female out now she's in a tub what can i do, do i need a bigger viv, they are in a 2ft by 18 by18 at the minute i was told this would be sufficient for 2 adult gecko's

bmwtwin2

i thought that they bite her near her head rather than her tail. i was hoping to breed them anyway once i've seperated them sholud i put them back together to get them breeding

Last edited:

touch 13

Euble_Rhac_Gekko
It does sound like he's trying to mate. He wiggled his tail knowing it was a gecko not a feeder, this could be his way of showing her.

Continue to watch them, i'd keep them seperate for a couple weeks regardless, allow them to get use to the home. then introduce the male to the female so he's not so aggressive.

Male and females are allowed to be housed together for breeding purposes, and breeding purposes arent all year round. Your going to have to purchase a seperate tank regardless. So i'd buy a 10-20 Wide for one of them and they'll be set =]!

Reborn

Hate to sound like the bad guy/grump here but if you dont know what breeding looks like then you shouldnt even attempt to breed till youve done your homework... You said biting EACHOTHER not just the male. If the females biting back shes not ready to breed and it can end very badly. A female wont breed till she is ovulating. If shes not she will bite him back. Only when shes ovulating are you suppose to introduce them. Do your homework is all i can say. To many breed and then end up with tons of babies they dont know what to do with.

Visit our friends