Gecko Diarrhea??

helfrichj

Hey all,

I looked into my leos cage today right before I was about to give him a bath to help with stuck shed and I noticed that his stool looked more "watery" than normal. However, the stool itself is full in tact with about the normal half-inch brown excrement and the urate right next to it. The paper towel around the poop appeared to be wet like it came out with the poop. I read that diarrhea is characterized by soft poop and water around it, but the actual feces that was left seems completely normal. I will say, the urate he has passed has always had a yellowish portion of it and I've had him for about 5 years now. I've read that yellow urate could signal calcium overdose or dehydration. I always ensure that he has fresh water with a moist hide in the cage to ensure he doesn't get hydrated, not to mention almost weekly baths to help with stuck shed on his toes.

My question is: could this be just an abnormally watery stool or is it a sign of diarrhea/ other disease? He is fed a mix between wax worms, mealworms, and the occasional cricket about every 2-3 days. Any insight is appreciated!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
A lot of times we don't really see the poop until it's dried out. Fresh poop is wetter and sometimes, in addition to the white urates, there is actually liquid present as well. I wouldn't call it diarrhea if the droppings are well formed. I would advise that you consider ditching the waxworms.

Aliza

Visit our friends