Gecko entirely off mealworms / only wants crickets?

harpbeat339

Hi,

I have a two year old leopard gecko - the breeder raised her entirely on mealworms and I kept her on mealworms for the first two years of her life, then this past winter she seemed to lose interest in them entirely. I blamed the cold weather and would get her to eat maybe one every few days, expecting she'd return to normal when the weather warmed up. Eventually I tried giving her crickets and although I don't know exactly how much she's eating at a time because I just leave them in her cage rather than hand-feeding her, but they appear to be disappearing.
Is this normal to just lose taste for one kind of food? Does anyone recommend maybe superworms or something similar so I don't have to stick to crickets?
She's had no change in behavior or weight - the other time she's gone off food was last breeding season but she seems to have dropped any patterns I could've hoped to follow, haha.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Some geckos, especially ovulating females, aren't eating that much this time of year. On the other hand, when I was breeding leopard geckos, I brought all my hatchlings up on mealworms. The ones I ended up keeping got pretty bored with them eventually. Crickets and superstorms more a lot more and are more attractive for them to hunt. If you don't want to deal with crickets, you could try superstorms.

Aliza

CinTob

Some geckos, especially ovulating females, aren't eating that much this time of year. On the other hand, when I was breeding leopard geckos, I brought all my hatchlings up on mealworms. The ones I ended up keeping got pretty bored with them eventually. Crickets and superstorms more a lot more and are more attractive for them to hunt. If you don't want to deal with crickets, you could try superstorms.

Aliza
Hi acpart,

So, just when you think things are figured out, they're not. I tried feeding dubia roaches instead of crickets to my day geckos, because they just don't die as easily, and I can put them in a dish. But, they just sit there, and the geckos have no interest. When I was feeding little crickets, I could see them crawling around, even the next day. The adult crickets seem to hide quickly. My viv is very busy with many plants, deep substrate, leaf litter, etc.. And, as they do die fairly easily, I have no idea how many my geckos are eating. A few times I "crippled" the crickets and put them in a dish. The geckos did eat some (I believe 5 total was the most in a day), but I know they like to hunt. I do see my male eat a few. He seems to get a little excited when I put the crickets in. The female shows NO interest. She may be eating them and I just don't see. She did eat the little crickets when she was younger. Just frustrated and want to settle on a plan for feeding insects to these two. They get Pangea four days a week as they are nine months. And they do appear healthy. Thanks!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I've had my female gold dust day gecko for around 5 years. I've never seen her eat anything, ever, but the crickets disappear and she's thriving. I just put in the CGD twice a week and the crickets three times a week and don't worry about it.

ALiza

CinTob

I've had my female gold dust day gecko for around 5 years. I've never seen her eat anything, ever, but the crickets disappear and she's thriving. I just put in the CGD twice a week and the crickets three times a week and don't worry about it.

ALiza
Will do! Thanks!

Visit our friends