Gecko Hasn't Eaten in 3-4 Weeks, Vet Trip?

tcoleman

My 3 y.o. gecko hasn't eaten anything except 2 wax worms in the past month. I know it's normal for them not to eat much during winter, but this is much longer than I'm used to. She shed twice within 2 weeks recently and needed some help doing so. (There's still a little above her mouth, but she can open it fine.) I've tried feeding her crickets instead of wax worms but that hasn't worked. When I've placed her in a shallow warm water bath, something came out (see pics). She has lost a little weight, mostly in her tail. Should I take her to the vet? I'm a teacher and this is one of our class pets. Point being, I don't have much money for unnecessary vet bills, but will take her to the vet if necessary of course.

About your leo:
- Sex: Female?
- Age & Weight: Almost 3 (unsure of weight)
- How long have you owned your leo? Nearly 2.5 years
- Where was he/she obtained (ex. Pet store, breeder, wild caught, friend) Pet store

A) Health/History
- How often do you handle your leo. Rarely, usually just light petting a few times a month.
- Is your leo acting any different today? If so how does he/she normally act which differs from now. (see answer below)
- Has he/she had any problems in the past, if so please describe. (see below)
B) Fecals
- Describe (look any different than normal) (It's usually white and yellow, see pictures below now)
- When was the last time he/she went (unsure)
C) Problem
- Please briefly describe the problem and how long it has been going on (see below)

Housing:
A) Enclosure
- Size 3ft W x 1ft D x 1.5ft H
- Type (ex. glass tank): glass tank
- Type of substrate: paper towels
- Hides, how many, what kind: Ceramic cave, fake wood tree to hide in, branch, etc.
B) Heating
- Heat source, one heat lamp (90-100 deg. under lamp, other side not measured)
- Cage temps (hot side, cool side) (see above)
- Method of regulating heat source heat lamp
- What are you using to measure your temps thermometer
- Do you have any lights (describe) Noncturnal infrared heat lamp (75W)
C) Cage mates
- How many (males, females) 1
- Describe health, or previous problems occasionally needs help shedding back or toes, recently needed help with face for the first time

Describe Diet:
A) Typical diet
- What you're feeding (how often, how much) wax worms, however many she'll eat every couple days (1-8)
- How are you feeding (hand fed, left in dish, ect) Setting in front of her or holding with tweezers for her
B) Supplements (describe how often)
- What vitamin/minerals are you using (list brands) None
- What are you gut loading food with What?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 3
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
She looks pretty reasonable. Consider getting an under tank heater and thermostat rather than the heat lamp which dries out the air and , I assume, goes out at night. Many female leopard geckos are ovulating now and don't eat for quite awhile. Keep offering and avoid the wax worms. I think it may be more important to spend a bit of money on the under tank heater and thermostat than on the vet at this point.

Aliza

Visit our friends