Gecko MBD, crypto, or malnutrition?

stwabebby

Hi all, this is my first time posting in a kind of forum so please let me know if I'm missing anything. I recently received a new leopard gecko from someone who was not caring for it and am unsure of his condition. I have had him for about 3 weeks now and have just been monitoring him.
About your leo:
- Male
- Maybe 3-4 yrs old
- Obtained a few weeks ago from a friend

A) Health/History
- He used to be very healthy when aforementioned friend first got him (I've seen pictures) but is now very skinny with a large underbite. Friend has no info on any conditions or past health.
B) Fecals
- Doesn't pass very often but looks solid w/ calcium deposit (2 times in the past 3 weeks)
C) Problem
- I would like any tips on caring for him and if his condition is serious enough to warrant a vet visit. When I received him, he was very skinny but not as bad as stick tail. He was covered in shed and had stuck shed around his toes. He has kind of a large underbite that exposes the tip of his tongue, so I at first I thought he might have MBD. However he doesn't seem to be lethargic at all whenever I handle him or clean his cage.
He has shed about once a week since I got him, and I have been helping him with peeling the shed off in a bath. The first couple days he ate a couple of butterworms, but refused anything after that. I suspected his jaw hurt too much to hunt so I am feeding him every other day with chicken baby food mixed with Repashy supplements. I give it to him with a pipet and he eats well.
I can add pictures later if needed. This is my first time dealing with a gecko in bad condition and I am a broke college student, so I would like to avoid seeing a vet if he is just malnourished. I've done a bit of my own research and it looks like early MBD, however he can hold himself up, and his legs/ feet look pretty straight. His jaw also looks similar to crypto which would also explain his weight loss, but he doesn't have any of the other symptoms.

Housing:
A) Enclosure
- 20 gal long aquarium
- Glass tank
- paper towels
- 3 hides (1 cool, 1 warm, 1 moist hide)
B) Heating
- Heat mat
- hot side is ~80, cool side is 70-75
- heat mat is attached to thermostat, also temp gun
C) Cage mates
- No cage mates, however shares a shelf with 1 male/1 female leo, and Kenyan Sand boa

Describe Diet:
A) Typical diet
- 2-3 dusted mealworms or 2-3 dubia, 1-2 wax/butter worms, 3 times/week
- recently Chicken baby food mixed with Repashy supplement
B) Supplements (describe how often)
- Repashy Superfoods (calcium + vitamins)
- gut loaded with Fluckers orange cube cricket food

Any help is appreciated!! Thank you :)

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It would be great to see a picture of this gecko. The white you're seeing with the poop isn't calcium deposit, it's urates, otherwise known as "pee". The gecko should be getting calcium, Vitamin D3 and other vitamins and minerals. I often recommend Repashy Calcium Plus as an all-in-one.
Try getting a feeder, ideally a mealworm or a cricket, mashing it up (I know it's gross) and rubbing the guts on your gecko's lips. Hopefully it will try to eat this. It would be good to try to get the gecko off the chicken, which isn't really gecko food, and onto a worm or insect. Give it some time and see if it improves.

Aliza

stwabebby

It would be great to see a picture of this gecko. The white you're seeing with the poop isn't calcium deposit, it's urates, otherwise known as "pee". The gecko should be getting calcium, Vitamin D3 and other vitamins and minerals. I often recommend Repashy Calcium Plus as an all-in-one.
Try getting a feeder, ideally a mealworm or a cricket, mashing it up (I know it's gross) and rubbing the guts on your gecko's lips. Hopefully it will try to eat this. It would be good to try to get the gecko off the chicken, which isn't really gecko food, and onto a worm or insect. Give it some time and see if it improves.

Aliza
Thanks for the advice. How much/how often do you recommend I should feed him the mash? Also I've included some pictures. His jaw sits slightly open all the time like in the pic so my gut instinct was MBD.

Attachments

• 20220330_183419.jpg
    20220330_183419.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
  • 20220330_183430.jpg
    20220330_183430.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
The gecko is thin, but otherwise pretty reasonable. The fact that it's holding itself up on its feet instead of having rubbery legs is a good sign. Usually the bowed legs and inability to lift the belly off the ground is the first sign of MBD. I have no idea why the jaw is that way but I don't think it's necessarily MBD. I think you should try to feed it a little bit every day (evening) and see if you can get it off the chicken and onto the mashed feeders.

Aliza

Visit our friends