Gecko not drinking

Corey Tre

Hello everyone my name is Corey and i've had my giant day gecko (phelsuma grandis) for about 3-4 weeks. I've grown a bit concerned that during the period that i've had my gecko I have still not seen her drink one droplet of water whenever I mist the cage. She has eaten fairly decent since i've had her but she has not consumed any water. I mist the tank every day 3-4 times a day and have even started putting a bowl of water in the enclosure. I keep my general temperature about around 87 degrees with a basking spot of about 95 degrees and a cool side of course. The humidty is kept around 60% and I have a basking spot light and an 18" 15 watt uvb light as well. As I mentioned earlier she has been eating fairly well but she still has not drunk any water and I am becoming a bit concerned. I've attached pictures of the terrarium and her as well.

Attachments

• IMG_0170.jpg
    IMG_0170.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0171.jpg
    IMG_0171.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0182.jpg
    IMG_0182.jpg
    939.2 KB · Views: 5

The lizards

I do not have experience with giant day geckos, but I did have a chameleon which is similar with the drinking. She refused to drink off the leaves, so I had to take a spray bottle and spray the screen lid of her enclosure. She would climb to the top of the enclosure and drink off the droplets that pooled up on the mesh. And by the way, she looks beautiful, very vibrant!

I hope this helps!!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Unless you're staring at her all day, there's really no way to know. I never see most of my geckos drink, yet they're all fine. If you see droppings, there should be a white part which is the pee.

Aliza

Corey Tre

I don't watch her all the time just when I mist the tank to see if she drinks. She seems fine especially with her eating I just got a little concerned that I hadn't seen her drink at all. I'm going to keep and eye on her.

Visit our friends