Gecko not eating and has a lumpy stomach

Cord

Hi. I have two female seven-year-old Leopard Geckos that belong to my school(they're at my house right now because of the quarantine). One of them(Darwin) has been eating very little for the past few weeks and has since gotten very thin. Leopard gecko #2(Arcite) started picking on her, so I temporarily separated them. This may sound weird but every time I go to feed them, Darwin becomes captivated with the walls of the tank and looks like she's looking at her own reflection, I haven't been able to get her to eat because of this. She's still doing this, but now it's getting scary because her tail is pretty thin. I've tried feeding her waxworms but she wasn't interested. I've also tried hand feeding her with chicken baby food mixed with some calcium/vitamin powder, and this hasn't worked.
She has an oddly shaped body which she always kind of had, but I've noticed lately that it's a bit lumpy. Also, I keep her on paper towels so this shouldn't be impaction, but she has been on sand in the past. I gave her a warm bath recently and she did this really weird thing where she lifted her back legs and just held them up with her belly on the ground. Was she trying to poop? I would really appreciate some advice because I can't think of anything else to do.

Below are some photos, (mind the awkward hand lol). She's been mistreated for her first five years, so the stubby feet are not from me.

(Oh and also, she had diarrhea the other day after I separated the two, I don't know if that has to do to with any of this or if it's from stress)

Attachments

• IMG_2888 2.jpg
    IMG_2888 2.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2891 2.jpg
    IMG_2891 2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:

TheGeckoDekko

One reason your leopard gecko might not be eating is because the temperature of the enclosure is wrong. They should have a hotspot of 86-90 degrees Fahrenheit, and a cool spot of 74-80 degrees Fahrenheit. Once you separated them where did you move the other one?
Also if this is not the case try researching enigma syndrome in geckos.

Now for the lumps.
They might not mean anything and it could mean just extra calcium or nutrients.
But, because your Leo also had weight loss, this could mean something else.
I've heard of a case where a Leo was bumpier and wasn't eating and this was a result of the wrong temperature as well.

Overall, I think your heating might be off.
If this is not the case, please post back and tell me and I will try to find a different theory.
Good luck!

Cord

One reason your leopard gecko might not be eating is because the temperature of the enclosure is wrong. They should have a hotspot of 86-90 degrees Fahrenheit, and a cool spot of 74-80 degrees Fahrenheit. Once you separated them where did you move the other one?
Also if this is not the case try researching enigma syndrome in geckos.

Now for the lumps.
They might not mean anything and it could mean just extra calcium or nutrients.
But, because your Leo also had weight loss, this could mean something else.
I've heard of a case where a Leo was bumpier and wasn't eating and this was a result of the wrong temperature as well.

Overall, I think your heating might be off.
If this is not the case, please post back and tell me and I will try to find a different theory.
Good luck!
The heating might be it, their hotspot is normally in the low 80s, below 85. I was originally planning their separation to be temporary because I only have one heat lamp. :/ I have it on "sick" Leo right now because she's been basking in it-which has also been as odd behavior I forgot to mention. She's in a 10 gallon and the other one is still in the 20 gallon they've been sharing. But I did some research on enigma syndrome and wow, I definitely think she has it.

TheGeckoDekko

Ok, well if that's the case, just do some research and follow what the best resources instruct you to do.
Best wishes!

Visit our friends