Gecko Skin in eye HELP

BuddyTony

so my gecko has problems shedding and i found him with a lot of skin over his whole face yesterday and after cotton swabbing and peeling the skin off his face he now only opens 1 eye and the one eye he opens has a tiny piece of skin on it

Update: Did a little more swabbing and i manage to get both eyes pretty moist and he seems to be a lot better now both eyes open and clean but for future reference what are some things i can do to help him shed and stuff!

Last edited:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Hopefully he has a humid hide. Even with a humid hide, some geckos have trouble shedding. I usually give a shedding gecko a day to get it done and then I assist. If you see shed in the eye, the most reliable way to remove it is to use tweezers.

Aliza

Elyria.Luna

My gecko has trouble shedding as well. Especially eye area. He currently has another eye infection bc i missed a small piece. I just give mine a nice bath and very wet qtip keep getting it wet and getting it out with that. Exactly what you did
I would never use tweezers. You risk possibly slipping. My vet told me not to use them as well.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I was also worried about using tweezers. My vet actually used them. I try with my fingernails and if that doesn't work I do go with the tweezers. I anchor my elbow against a table or my waist to make sure my hand is steady and I don't try it if the gecko is squirming.

Aliza

Visit our friends