Gecko terrified and still sick

Twinkiedinks

Hi guys. I have a rescue Leo that I’ve had for about 6 months and who has become very comfortable around me. Recently he developed a little bit of mouth rot, took him to the vet and they gave him a medicine called Orbax that he’s supposed to take .6 ML of twice a day. He refuses to open his mouth and bites me if I try to gently coax it open so I’ve been putting a drip of it on the front of his mouth until he licks it off, no restraint or anything. He’s now terrified of me, sequels and squirms any time I pick him up, and seems overall traumatized by me giving him the medication. It’s not working, he now won’t eat, and is absolutely scared straight of me. The bottle of Orbax said it’s for cats and dogs only, which is suspicious to me, but i just don’t know what to do. His vet bill was 150 dollars and I can’t do that for another medication made for other animals not to work. He’s traumatized and still ill. What should I do?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I don't know if it will help or hurt if you pick him up occasionally and don't medicate him, just hold him and talk to him. Maybe he can learn that every interaction isn't going to be about medication. Did you take him to a reptile vet or a general vet? You could try cleaning the area with a q-tip and warm water to see if it gets better. I did a little internet searching and while I didn't find anything explicitly that said it could be used for reptiles, I did see a discussion of the medication in a snake forum where no one (including some vets on the forum) seemed to be having a problem with the snake getting the medication. I'm not a vet, so I really don't know what to do but it may be worthwhile stopping the medication, keeping the problem area clean, and seeing if you can get him eating again, even if you have to hold him and poke feeders at his mouth. Good luck.

Aliza

Visit our friends