Gecko Time: Hatchlings with Problems Part 2

Russellm0704

Great article Aliza. I hate the feeling of when a hatchling won't eat. It is strange how some hatchlings just need to be hand fed that first mealworm to "ignite" feeding for the rest of their life. Do you think hatchlings that have eating problems should be sold as pet only to help strengthen gene pools in the species?

Carkin

Sorry for posting this in a really bad place but I don't know how to post stuff.

I'm new to here.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Great article Aliza. I hate the feeling of when a hatchling won't eat. It is strange how some hatchlings just need to be hand fed that first mealworm to "ignite" feeding for the rest of their life. Do you think hatchlings that have eating problems should be sold as pet only to help strengthen gene pools in the species?

I think it depends on the gecko and how they proceed. If I have a gecko that never learns to eat that well and is always on the small size I will either sell it as pet only or give it to the Gecko Sanctuary to adopt out. If it just takes awhile to get it together and then grows and develops normally, I will sell it as a potential breeder because I feel that it has the potential to produce healthy offspring. If I had a breeder who produced a large number of geckos that didn't have it together, I'd probably retire that breeder and sell the offspring as pet only. It's kind of like having a child that takes longer than other kids to settle down in school but then ends up doing fine.

Aliza

Visit our friends