Gecko Time: Plague House

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
For those of you who don't know from other forums, sadly, my gecko collection has been infected with crypto. Nearly all the geckos are actually in pretty good health. I have lost 2 geckos (out of 80 or so) since I got the diagnosis and another 2 aren't in very good shape. The biggest issues for me are that I have about 30 juveniles that I can't sell and will have to house for the rest of their lives, and that my breeding days are indefinitely over. I wrote an article for Gecko Time about it here: http://www.geckotime.com/plague-house-breeders-nightmare/

This is what I want to say to the forum in general:

--If you get a new gecko, consider having it tested for crypto at the beginning and at the end of quarantine. I think my crypto problem started with a new gecko that I did quarantine but didn't test. There are swabs you can get so you can do the collecting yourself. You can swab the vent and not even have to wait for a fecal sample

--If you are a gecko keeper, and especially if you are a breeder and you have a gecko that has persistent cheesy diarrhea, regurgitated shed or is losing a lot of weight, don't stick your head in the sand! Have the gecko tested for crypto. I really think there's a lot of crypto out there, yet there has been virtually nothing written about crypto since 2012. Check the internet, you'll see what i mean

--I have found that reptile keepers are notoriously close-mouthed about what they do and why. If you are a breeder who discovers your geckos have crypto, for God's sake don't keep quiet about it. Contact the people who bought geckos from you this season and let them know (I did). Encourage your customers to have their geckos tested. You could even test the geckos before you sell them and then sell them at a higher price with a "crypto free" certification

I hope everyone is having a better season than I am.

Aliza

indyana

I know I already commented on your blog, but I again want to offer my sympathy and support.

There is definitely a LOT of Crypto out there, especially in leopard geckos and fat-tail geckos. Due to an incident with a fostered fat-tail, the rescue organization I am associated with started testing all incoming leos and fat-tails. They have discovered several Crypto-positive animals as a result.

Crypto isn't necessarily a death sentence, but it's a lot like FIV in cats. The carriers can infect other animals, so they need to go into a quarantine situation where they won't endanger healthy animals. Crypto carriers can also have flare-ups where they show symptoms (especially in times of stress) and periods where they seem completely healthy.

As far as testing, it is possible to get a false negative if the animal doesn't happen to be shedding the parasite at the time of the test, so Animal Genetics (a.k.a. Avian Biotech) recommends testing multiple samples over time.
http://www.animalgenetics.com/Reptile/cryptosporidiumreptile.asp

Certain disinfectants, like ammonia and hydrogen peroxide, are effective against Crypto, and proper hygiene and quarantine practices go a long way toward prevention and control.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Thanks. As you know, people do keep FIV positive cats. They obviously need to be the only cats in the household. If you or anyone knows of someone that would like to adopt a crypto positive leopard gecko, crestie or garg I will provide for free. My biggest challenge right now is finding housing for all these geckos that I would have sold otherwise.

Aliza

Visit our friends