Gecko Vivarium: Lid?

happy gecko

Hey everyone!

I am considering setting up a tropical vivarium and am thinking of stocking it with 1x Rhacodactylus ciliatus. I am not going to go over the top in creating a very complex/expensive set-up as I already have a large reef tank, but I would like to try my hand at keeping tropical plants/animals. Anyway, I do quite a bit if research on Dendroboard and for dart frogs they often use solid glass tops to achieve high humidity, as dart frogs have relatively low oxygen consumption. My question is, could I use a solid glass top (versa aquarium top) or should I use a screeend top for crested geckos?

Thanks!

dunderpate

Born Again Gecko
Screen works just fine. With live plants and a daily fogging, you should have no problem keeping humidity at comfortable levels.

dunderpate

Born Again Gecko
It would be best if the rest of the viv were acrylic, though so that humidity will not leak out.
Huh?

The loss of humidity due to a screen acting as a lid, is minimal to almost none. I've been using the screen and glass method for over 3 yrs. The humidity levels never drop below 75. If you buy a fogger and set it up using a timer to come on a couple times a day, use real plants and coconut husk mixed with moss as your substrate you should never have a problem with humidity, no matter where you live and the only thing you ll neeed to do is feed it and love it:)

Visit our friends