Geckos and Mold

MikyPiky

New Member
Messages
4
Yesterday I discovered my mealworm farm was very very moldy. I was very sad to see this and want to clean the whole mealworm farm. I am going to clean the farm very soon, but I want your opinion on something. I breed the mealies for my two leopard geckos and was wondering if they are still going to be safe for the geckos, I have heard differing opinions on the internet about if Mold is dangerous to geckos or not. Should I just wait a few days to let the mealworms get rid of the mold in their bodies, or is that still a risk to my geckos. Please help.

-MikyPiky
 

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Messages
11,301
Location
Somerville, MA
I have also heard that mold in the mealworms is not good for the geckos. I hate to say it but to be safe, you should probably get rid of the mealworms. You should also figure out what caused the mold. Sometimes certain veggies or fruits that go in with the mealworms get moldy before the mealworms can finish eating them.

Aliza
 

MikyPiky

New Member
Messages
4
I have also heard that mold in the mealworms is not good for the geckos. I hate to say it but to be safe, you should probably get rid of the mealworms. You should also figure out what caused the mold. Sometimes certain veggies or fruits that go in with the mealworms get moldy before the mealworms can finish eating them.

Aliza
I have been breeding these mealworms for over a year, I cant just throw them out, I need these mealworms to save money and if I throw them out I would be heartbroken. I have heard some people say that you should just let the mealworms get it out of their digestion. Other people say mold is harmless to geckos. All I'm saying is that I'm not going to give up that soon, I have switched over the farm to a completely clean container, sadly I had to throw away a lot of little mealworms and eggs. If there is any possibility please let me know.
 

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Messages
11,301
Location
Somerville, MA
If you can pick out the adults and put them in new substrate (and then watch to make sure mold doesn't return, I think that would be OK.

Aliza
 

MikyPiky

New Member
Messages
4
If you can pick out the adults and put them in new substrate (and then watch to make sure mold doesn't return, I think that would be OK.

Aliza
I have already picked out all the adult mealworms and the beetles and pupae, I put them in a new container with oats and wheat bran. I cut open the lid and put mesh wiring at the top for better air flow. I haven't put any carrots in but will soon, I will watch carefully for mold growth and moisture. I have waited a few days for the mealworms to get rid of the mold in their bodies, today or tomorrow I will feed my geckos because they haven't been fed for a while. I hope my geckos will be fine!
 

indyana

Well-Known Member
Messages
2,334
Location
Massachusetts, United States
Good luck!

The main concerns with mold are mycotoxins, which are various toxins that can be produced by mold in certain circumstances. There's little data available on toxicity in reptiles, and mycotoxicity is very difficult to diagnose. That being said, there is evidence that mealworms are able to excrete at least certain toxins over time and not accumulate them in their bodies.

Secondary concern would be fungal infections caused by general exposure to the mold.

I always advise throwing out mold-contaiminated feeders as a first option, but if that is absolutely not possible, doing your best to remove all mold traces and clear their systems is the best you can do.
 
Messages
600
Location
WI
I will contact my good friend Gillian from Rainbow Mealworms and see if she can give some thoughts on to prevent the molding
 
Top