General business questions from a newbie.

akaangela

I don't know where to put this but it is sorta a rant so if you can help me please feel free to chime in. :D Thanks

However I really want to play with the giant gene in the gecko world. I have 2 large girls that I don't think have the giant gene but are large. The owner of one of the girls said she is trying for larger gecko and when I asked if the gecko was a giant she shrugged and said she didn't think so. So those two to play with as possible breeders. On the other hand I am purchasing a true giant female from a reputable breeder. She is 72g at 7 months 22 days of age. I also am purchasing a baby boy who is either a giant or super giant (he is only 13g at 3 months 6 days) but he has one parent a giant and the other parent a supergiant. So he has a 50/50 chance at being a super giant.

So with that I want to breed the two giants (when they are old enough) together. That will give me a min of 4 babies. That means I will HAVE to sell at least a few. How can I do that when I can't even sell a few normals? I hate selling. I know I will have nice babies to offer, but how does one go about finding a name, making a website and getting a reputation so people will actually buy from you? I don't have room to keep everything I hatch out (LOL even though I would like to). Any suggestions? I don't want to go into breeding without at least an idea of how I will sell the offspring. The two geckos I am getting are truly stunning and I am sure they will make great offspring. Also I have a problem with pricing. If it were up to me I would sell them for just enough to break even but then the other giant breeders would HATE me. I mean $50 for a giant baby is enough to get me lynched.

So anyone have any ideas? I have bought Ron Trempers book but it hasn't gotten here yet. I have months and months yet to come up with a plan but thought I would ask here first.

Oh and since you read all the way to the end can you think of a cool business name?

Kristi23

Ghoulish Geckos
Part of breeding is being able to sell the offspring. I agree that you don't want to go too cheap or it will piss off other breeders. For me, I try to find a middle price. Some of my geckos wll quickly and others take much longer. I just hold onto them until they sell. You will slowly have to build a name for yourself. If you're truly serious, make sure you full understand genetics and label all your animals properly. That will help you get a good reputation (along with the health). There are plenty of forums and facebook, but there is just no guarantee when selling animals. You will have to be prepared to take care of them if they don't sell. Many new "breeders" only breed for a year or two before they realize they're not making money or not selling enough animals. So it's not for everyone. Sounds like you have some ideas on what you want to do, so that's a good start. Buying your geckos from quality breeders will be important, too. Having the parents from certain name people will help the babies sell, too. Good luck!

akaangela

Thank you. I know what I want to go for. I truly wish I could buy from Rom himself but not only are his prices a bit much for me all the ones I want are gone. I am working on learning about the different morphs. There are so many out there. Some are so similar that I can't hardly tell them apart. I do wish some of the answers I seek where more readily available. Bloodlines vs weight is still confusing me. Maybe I am just slow. I also don't think I am asking the right questions. Anyway thanks for taking the time to chat. I have decided to start making youtube videos. LOL I have to invest in something that takes videos and figure out how to use it, then upload the videos. Wow so much to learn and I haven't even gotten my breeding stock yet.

Last edited:

Kristi23

Ghoulish Geckos
Thank you. I know what I want to go for. I truly wish I could buy from Rom himself but not only are his prices a bit much for me all the ones I want are gone. I am working on learning about the different morphs. There are so many out there. Some are so similar that I can't hardly tell them apart. I do wish some of the answers I seek where more readily available. Bloodlines vs weight is still confusing me. Maybe I am just slow. I also don't think I am asking the right questions. Anyway thanks for taking the time to chat. I have decided to start making youtube videos. LOL I have to invest in something that takes videos and figure out how to use it, then upload the videos. Wow so much to learn and I haven't even gotten my breeding stock yet.

There are a lot of varying opinions on giants. Maybe try finding some info from John at GeckoBoa. He's a great one for info on all things geckos and he works with giants. I do know that a giant needs to be a giant by genetics no matter the size. I don't have any giants right now, but I had some before from John and also from Keith. I have a few non giants that were bigger than those giants were. It can really vary.

alohaaaaa

Breeding is a truly complicated process, so you shouldn't worry if something doesn't go as planned from the beginning. It would help if you tried, again and again, to look for better features and tactics, and so forth. Back when my dad started breeding, he also had an insane amount of issues, and he didn't know what to do and how to do it. However, he didn't abandon this idea, and now he is thinking about how to find a market expansion strategy so he can reach a global level. I'm truly happy for my dad as he has achieved his dream.

Visit our friends