Genetics

M

M&I Gecko

How does one determine one leo having better genetics than the other? I've seen some leos for sale and the breeder says "She has great genetics". I guess I can see how one leo could have better genes than the other when comparing one leo that has genetic deformities, too much inbreeding, etc to one that has been outcrossed alot. I'd like to hear other people's opinions.

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
I think when someone claims their geckos have "good genetics", it means they come from solid genetic lines. For example, if you bought a striped gecko that had R2 genetic lines, there would be a good chance that those genetics would be carried by that gecko. If you bought a tangerine with Albey's genetics, you would be getting soem of the best tangerine genetic lines there are.

This does not always means that if you got a gecko with "good genetics" that is would produce outstanding offspring. Any gecko is only as good as the gecko you breed it with... but with an outstanding genetic background, you will have a better chance of producing outstanding offspring.

Visit our friends