Getting Worried about my Giant Day Gecko, desperate for help!

ZackRP

Hello everyone. I've had my Madagascar Giant Day Gecko for a few weeks now. I originally bought the Exo Terra bamboo forest kit from a local pet store and set it all up, when I got him and put him in the enclosure he went right to the foam background to the top of the tank and hung out there for a few days. He would come down to eat crickets but that's it. After that he discovered he could hide in the bamboo castle decoration so he would spend days in there at a time, only occasionally leaving, and if I caught him at the right time I could make sure he saw the crickets to eat. But it was concerning me that he spent so much time in there so I removed the castle last time he left, and added a bunch of fake plants and some wood and stuff instead. Since then, he hasn't eaten, he hasn't climbed from the soil at the bottom of the tank, and hasn't moved around the tank much laterally either. Only when scared of me opening the enclosure to mist and such. My question to you guys is, what is causing this behavior and how do I fix it? I'm worried he's going to starve himself or get too cold staying at the bottom of the tank. It's 92° at the center of the basking point, 82° at the same height as the basking spot but on the sides of the tank, about 85° ambient midway up the tank, and drops to around 72°-75° at the bottom where he's currently spending all of his time. My humidity is consistently around 50-60% all the time, I'm feeding him 4 crickets every 2-3 days and Repashy CGD twice a week, although he doesn't seem like he is interested in that. I mist once in the morning and once in the evening for humidity and to allow him to drink water droplets. I know Giant Day Geckos are arboreal so it is very unusual that he's spending all of his time on the ground. And the fact that he isn't eating now is freaking me out. Can anyone tell me why? Stress? My setup? I've included pictures of my setup. Thanks for any help! I'm really worried about the little guy!

IMG_20161227_172427839.jpg
IMG_20161227_172644127.jpg
IMG_20161227_203832030.jpg

DrCarrotTail

Your tank may be too hot for him. I would make sure he has a temperature gradient that allows him to move from 90 to 70. You may need to dim the lights or switch to a lower wattage to achieve this. The only place that's close to 90 should be right near the lights at the top of the tank with the floor closer to room temperature. Many keepers use only a UVB bulb on top of the tank and have an under tank heater affixed to the side so the majority of the tank is around 80 with a spot they can bask for warmth. I would also watch your humidity and make sure you allow the tank to dry out in between mistings. Absorbent substrates like cocofiber or soil need to be watched extremely carefully to make sure they are not saturated with water and the tank is not overly humid.

Day geckos also eat a bit of fruit in the wild and need their insects to be supplemented with crested gecko diet like Pangea, Repashy or something similar that's made specifically for fruit eating geckos.

Best of luck with that gorgeous guy!

Visit our friends