GGG Slurry/Gecko Soup Recipe

D_K

I wanted to read over the slurry sticky again but I noticed that it is gone now. I even found a link to it in an old thread but it says that the thread now longer exists. I looked at the articles but it didn't go there. I do have a bad habit of missing stuff that is right in front of my face, so maybe someone could point out the obvious to me??

Thanks!

JordanAng420

Regardless, I still have the ingredients. Here y'all go.

In a blender, combine:
1 small can Hill's A/D pet food (available at most vets)

1/4-1/3 cup Ensure (not chocolate)

1 jar baby food squash -

1/4-1/3 cup Pedialite

2 crushed tablets or contents of 2 capsules Milk Thistle (herbal supplement, liver purifier, found at most drug stores.)

1/2 tsp. each calcium powder and herp vitamin powder -

1-2 extra large handfuls of mealworms

Last edited by a moderator:

JordanAng420

You are welcome, Kelli. Thanks for making the sticky. OH! I forgot to add that you can use 2 tabs or caps of Acidophilus in addition to everything. It's said to help promote digestive fuction, while Milk Thistle helps promote liver function.

FloridaNature

Learning
After you make the "soup" pour the contents in a ice cube tray and freeze it.
You can then thaw out one cube at a time & store it in the refrigerator for a up to 2 days.

To use the mixture use a small eye dropper & place a drop on the Leos nose (do not clog nostril) and let the Leo lick the soup off.

got spots?

leo lover
heh one thing I do is when I see something in these forums that is really important like medicines or treatments I copy it down in a text document and put it in a folder on my computer.

D_K

So admins, who's going to rename this thread Gecko Soup since I apparently can't? :main_laugh:

After you make the "soup" pour the contents in a ice cube tray and freeze it.
You can then thaw out one cube at a time & store it in the refrigerator for a up to 2 days.

To use the mixture use a small eye dropper & place a drop on the Leos nose (do not clog nostril) and let the Leo lick the soup off.

So the preferable method is to let them lick it off and not to force feed them? I am getting plenty of experience with forcing liquids and panacur down my gecko's throat right now.

Next question is, how much soup should you feed a gecko per day?

I have a gecko reaching the end of a week long treatment for parasites but she still has zero interest in food. I don't think she has any more weight to loose. :main_no:

robin

here is the entire "gecko soup" recipe, i found it searching the internet:

this should only be used in conjunction with vetrinary care and for extreme curcumstances

Using a blender, purée:

*1 small can Hill's A/D pet food (available from good veterinarians)
¼ cup Ensure (not chocolate)
1 jar baby food (squash or pumpkin flavoured)
¼ cup Pedialite
*2 tabs or the contents of 2 capsules of milk thistle (a herbal supplement used as liver support, found at most drug stores)
*2 tabs or the contents of 2 capsules of Acidophilus (a gastrointestinal probiotic, also found at most drug stores)
1 tsp. calcium powder
1/2 tsp. herp vitamin powder
2-4 extra large handfuls of mealworms - add slowly while the mixture is blending until it reaches the consistancy of amilkshake.

* optional ingredients

Blend all of the ingredients until smooth, then pour into an ice cube tray until frozen. Store the cubes in a zip-lock bag, keeping them frozen until ready for use. Once ready, defrost one cube at a time and store in the fridge for 2-3 days. When washed thoroughly after each use, the empty baby food jars are perfect for this purpose.

Using a syringe or pipette (eye dropper), draw 1ml of the mixture and place a drop on your gecko's nose, ensuring not to block its nostrils. Patience is key - do not force-feed! When your gecko begins to lick its nose, very slowly release more of the fluid. The majority of geckos love this food and will have little trouble eating it.

Stomlin35

Gamer momma
Next question is, how much soup should you feed a gecko per day?

I have a gecko reaching the end of a week long treatment for parasites but she still has zero interest in food. I don't think she has any more weight to loose. :main_no:

When I had to give this to my girl, I tried 3 or 4 times a day. Sometimes she would lick it off her nose, so I would gradually increase the amount I gave her. Eventually I ended up putting some in a small dish and she lapped at it like it was water.

If your gecko doesn't seem interested, try again in a couple of hours.

BrunoNRG

I would like to try this recipe on my leo, since she's barely eating, but some of the ingredients, like Ensure or Pedialite,
are not available in my country...:( Maybe if I knew what those are, I could find something similar to replace them...? :main_huh:

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
Ensure is a drink that is used as a nutritional supplement, and Pedialyte is a drink that is mostly water with some electrolytes to help sick babies and young children stay hydrated when they are sick.

BrunoNRG

Ensure is a drink that is used as a nutritional supplement, and Pedialyte is a drink that is mostly water with some electrolytes to help sick babies and young children stay hydrated when they are sick.
Let me know if I got it right: Ensure is some kind of isotonic drink and Pedialyte is similar
to those "dusts" that are intended to be mixed with water for making digestion easier? :main_huh:

Mel&Keith

Mod Squad Member
Bruno, Pedialyte is the isotonic drink. Ensure can be used as a meal replacement. It has fat, protein, vitamins, minerals, etc. Here are the nutritional facts and ingredients for Ensure - (click to make bigger)
View attachment 30155

Just a friendly reminder to all that this thread is about Gecko Soup. Please keep posting on topic.

Last edited:

KelliH

OK I deleted some of the posts and edited one, just to keep things on topic. No reason to confuse any newbies with a bunch of negative posts. It's hard not to let personal feelings get in the way of moderating but that's what we have to do sometimes.

FloridaNature

Learning
For the record when I went to buy a few cans of Hills A/D I found out it is a prescription diet & you truly need a prescription from a Vet to get them!
I talked my way into the cans but it looks liek you may need a "vet visit" to obtain them.

I also noted that the A/D formula is for both Canine & Feline.

robin

Did she write this or did she copy it off the internet?!
i found it on the internet via a google search and then i rewrote and simplified some of the text for easier reading. this is not my recipe just one i found via an internet search. i found it on many websites actually, so i figured it would be helpful and post it in this thread :pleased:

robin

there are also other versions in which you use turkey or chicken baby food instead of squash or pumpkin.

D

ducmar

A note on this soup, I see it being recommended to a lot of newbies including myself but it would help if it were noted that Hill's A/D pet food is next to impossible to obtain without a perscription. I learned that today. I may be able to get a can tomorrow from a vet tomorrow located about 100 miles from me. Maybe.

Visit our friends