Would you support GMO leopard geckos

• Yes

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Halley

I was curious about people’s opinions on GMO leopard geckos. With the invention of glowfish, it seems that the general public is okay with the idea. They’ve started with glowfish zebra danios and have expanded to tetras, angelfish, barbs and cichlids.
If other genes like pied, T negative albinos or axanthic popped up in leopard geckos (say from ball python genes) would you be willing to buy them or breed them?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I wouldn't want to add chemicals to leopard geckos to make them glow, especially since they're nocturnal.

Aliza

Christywoowoo

Well glofish and other animals modified to "Glow" don't actually 'glow' unless you put a blacklight on them. They aren't actually producing enough of their own light to be considered glowing, moreso fluorescent. It's like scorpions under a blacklight.

attachment.php

I wouldn't want to add chemicals to leopard geckos to make them glow, especially since they're nocturnal.

Aliza

GMOs don't have to do with chemicals, you are quite literally inserting the genes of another organisms into the genetic code of a leopard gecko. The change isn't significant enough to produce actual light anyway. I think if people want it, it's a decent idea.

Attachments

• flourescent.jpg
    flourescent.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Neon Aurora

I didn't vote because I don't know if I would exactly "support" it, but I think it would be cool. I'm a biology student so naturally I think the science behind it is really neat. I used to have some Glofish when I younger and I thought they were just the coolest.

Regardless of glowing under blacklights, if a genetically modified gecko appeared that I really liked the look of I might have one for fun, but I probably wouldn't breed it. I would probably just keep it in a nice display tank for my viewing pleasure. It just sort of seems to take the fun out of creating things purely by breeding. Kind of cheating in a way, I guess.

Visit our friends