Going Back....

spykerherps

-sssSpyker ExoticSsss-
to my old terra cotta hides. problem is I can't find any plane old terra-cotta saucers that are just right. either plastic or glazed or too short. The plastic ones I switched to a few years back when we had a population explosion work ok, but they get tossed around. NOT THESE!
3946334640_0510cb607d_b.jpg

robin

ugg the feelof terra cotta makes my skin crawl.

have you checked walmart of like a home improvement store?

also checker plant nurseries

spykerherps

-sssSpyker ExoticSsss-
I don't much like it myself but I tolerate it.

I've checked lowes and a few local places nothing yet.

I have also check the entire internet and nothing.:D

next stop home depot, and a decent sized nursery I found in Portland.

spykerherps

-sssSpyker ExoticSsss-
bin there done that:pthxu

I've been thinking of just making a pottery wheel and makin my own herp hides. but then I'll need a kiln.

spykerherps

-sssSpyker ExoticSsss-
Ya,that is what I have been using for about 75 % of my tubs. Well not specifically those, but plastic plant saucers from my old local nursery.

I bought many when we started working with more geckos. they are easy to clean easy to cut and their cheep, and able to stack well.. the small ones are great for hatchlings too but as soon as they reach 8-10 grams they start pushing them around and flipping them. and well, I just can't have that:main_laugh:we also use them for calcium and water dishes.

The adults really make a mess out of them right away. so I was thinking of going back to something with a little more mass.

Chewbecca

www.ellaslead.com
What do you use to cut those with???
I'd love to use those as I cannot stand it when my geckos make a disaster of their enclosure by pushing their hides all around.:main_laugh:

spykerherps

-sssSpyker ExoticSsss-
:main_laugh: neither can I.
its been a while since i've cut them. I believe I used something like a roto zip or large dremel tool but its all about the bit you use.:main_thumbsup:

spykerherps

-sssSpyker ExoticSsss-
Thanks Fe will check it out. I grabbed one at lowes I found. but it is too shallow not tall enough for the big adults.

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
I use PVC pipe. cut into 10" sections. I like it cuz it allows a warm end and a cool end to the hide. Just enough room for one along with a sandwich box humid hide/laybox in a 12.2 iris.

Chewbecca

www.ellaslead.com
Oh!!!
I just realized that I know EXACTLY where you can get various sizes of these terra cotta pots/saucers!

If you have a Michael's craft store near you, check there (or any other craft store).
I'm going there today to pick up some decorations for my halloween calendar submission, and I'm probably going to pick up a few.

I don't know, though.
I don't know if my husband will want to cut them or not.

spykerherps

-sssSpyker ExoticSsss-
thanks for the tips .

I am sure you would be able to do it yourself. with a little practice. just buy a couple extra to test on.:main_thumbsup:

Anejodave

I'm using a terra cotta pot for one hide right now. I cut it using a diamond grinding wheel with a beveled edge. It makes a mess while cutting but otherwise it worked great.

Visit our friends