Going Out Of town

brookehiggy

so i have two leopard geckos. that i give alot of attention to. My husband and I are going out of town for a week. and we have taken them with us before. but i don't want to put the stress on them again. so i am going to leave them home[ have done before also]. but was only for 4 days. and they were fine. water bowls.[tends to be covered in sand. when we return home. ] how do i prevent this from happening. and i more worry about them getting attention while we are gone. because i know they'll have there crickets and such. but i want to MAKE SURE THEY are happy while we are gone. so what im asking is WHAT is the best thing to do to insure that they are happy while we are gone for 7 days. ? they are healthy not fully grown yet but old.. we got them in may 2010 so ... i guess they would be getting to adults so they don't eat as much as they do when there babies. =] im attached to my gecko as if it was a dog or something..[people prolly think thats weird. but NOT TO ME ha,.. but please if any one has geckos and goes outa town alot. please give me info on whats the best things to do.[heres a pic of one of my geckos]

marauderhex

My wife and I have a designated pet sitter for when we go out of town, if even for a long weekend. You can actually ditch most of the sand and give them ceramic tile or even paper towels as substrate, then you don't have to worry about loose substrate getting in their water, or worse, impacting them if ingested. As for attention, they will be fine over the time you're gone, they'll probably spend most of it sleeping anyways.

grboxa

Agree to, but I just want to ask. How are you going to provide the crickets for them?, I don't want to assume your going to just leave them in the cage loose because that can stress out your geckos alot.

Dimidiata

For a week, without food..imo, they should Suriname, especially if they have nice plump tails. Just give 2 or so dishes of mealies to tie them over. Ditch the sand.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
In all honesty, your geckos will be fine without food for 4 days (even for 7 days). It would be good for them to have water, but if something happens to the water they'll probably be fine that way too. I suspect that you are getting more out of your relationship with the geckos than they are, by which I mean that they will probably not miss you like you miss them.

Aliza

Russellm0704

Bowl of mealworms, fill up the water dish, spray the humid hides, clean up all the poop and then enjoy your trip. I'm actually on vacation right now and I left my geckos Sunday. I won't be coming back until Friday. I just made sure to leave a 4 days full of mealworms in each dish.

Visit our friends