Gold Dust Gecko not as bright?

Prometheus777

Hello everyone! I am new here and hopefully can find some answers to what I am slightly concerned about.

First off I purchased my Gold Dust from a breeder at a Reptile Expo. According to the breeder it hatched the 1st of May, 2014. I bought it the 9th of August, 2014. So just in a matter of now 11 days the gecko is not as brightly colored as it used to be. Although that is the case it appears that only his face remains to be more vividly colored than the rest of its body. I use Exo-Terra's Reptile UVB100 and have no heating bulb. Temperatures range from 78-97 degrees F throughout the day. The gecko eats very well, it feeds on fruit flies with Zoomed's Reptile vitamins and Repashy's Crested Gecko Diet. I mist daily twice a day and I keep a live dwarf Umbrella plant in his enclosure to maintain humidity. Is it the lighting that isn't right for him? Or does he need to shed soon?

Secondly, I have been wanting to take out my gecko outside for some sun throughout the day but is it good for my plant or will it die from switching from direct sunlight to artificial light? (Plant I keep is Dwarf Umbrella plant aka Schefflera Abricola).

Thanks.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I wouldn't be surprised if the gecko is getting ready to shed. Often the head is ready to shed last, so you end up with a gecko that has a normal colored head and the rest of the body is pale. It should look "normal" soon. I think the plant will be fine moving back and forth.

Welcome to GF.

Aliza

Visit our friends