Gracie.

Leopard.Geckerz

I originally posted pictures of Grace on here when I first picked her up (as a rescue) from a friends turtle rescue. She was a little (and I mean little.) blizzard female (32 grams, probably around 28-30 when she passed) who was originally owned by a 12 year old kid who got tired of her. And as he got tired of her, he just let her starve to death. There were several other reptiles in his posession that were in varying levels of health, Gracie was the worst, from photos I saw. It makes me sick. And don't say "oh its a young kid" because 12 is old enough to know right from wrong, and what about parents?
Whatever, this isn't about that.

I took Gracie in, knowing that chances were slim that I'd be able to save her. She surprised me with the amount of life she still had, the brightness of her eyes, the vigor with which she would hunt. She especially LOVED to chase crickets around! It was so rewarding to watch her catch them and enjoy them. On days she had less energy I hand fed her vitamins & butterworms. Wax worms were her favourite. She always had mealworms available but found these boring. She made me laugh.

Weeks progressed, with no progress. She didn't have parasites but had trouble digesting her food. There was long-term damage on her organs from the length of time she'd been starved. It was a matter of keeping her comfortable. I told myself that if she stopped eating and looked uncomfortable, she'd be back to the vet for the needle. She refused food one day-but had done that before, I wasn't too concerned. Another day or two passed and she went to sleep and didn't wake back up. It was peaceful and she was loved.

At first I felt that I'd failed her, but in my heart I knew that it was out of my hands. She will be missed but I am also somewhat at rest, because I am glad she was able to go peacefully and loved.

R.I.P Gracie.
15708_10150112816690347_594755346_11520477_6641810_n.jpg

15708_10150109938005347_594755346_11492408_1706577_n.jpg

rubym

Dont ever feel like you failed your baby. You gave her the love and the peace that every creature deserves in their last days. You did all that you could do and she went in a very peaceful manner probably becasue she was loved in the end. ((((HUGS)))))

Taquiq

JK Herp
RIP Gracie. I'm so sorry. If anything you benefited her and you deserve credit for that.

Visit our friends