Gravid Females?!

N

Nigel4less

I`ve been noticing lately on some various Classifieds sites, that multiple breeders seem to be Charging a 'Premium' for Gravid Females, personally I have no idea why anyone would 1) Sell a Gravid Female, 2) Even attempt to ship it.

I`m not sure if I`m the only one that thinks this unethical, or maybe I`m going off the deep end? Care to chime in?

:main_huh:

It seems that we are getting closer and closer the Ball Python Market....

hybrid

I dont agree with it either Nigel, but some people think different. Ive seen them for sell on a few sites as well.

Retribution Reptiles

Stripe King
Eh i find it to be unethical. A gecko that is already stressed due to laying eggs and has laid eggs is IMO is very inhumane. ALSO who wants to buy a gecko that already laying eggs from some Male that you know nothing about (unless you ask before you buy) . As ell as the gecko MAY not eat for days to weeks depending upon the stress level from the shipping.

No sense in putting any animal into harms way if it is able to be avoided.

N

Nigel4less

Its disappointing that these animals are labeled as Potential "Investments"(Referring to Gravid Females), personally I think if you want an Investment you should probably try to avoid some Headaches and Vet Bills.

whkrazyk

Geck'd Out
yea ive seen the ads for these animals, some of them i was thinking of actually purchasing, but couldnt force myself to have a gravid gecko put in a box and shipped across the country, how would you like it if you or your gurlfriend were pregnant and got stuffed in a box and thrown in a plane. its very unethical IMO

Sunrise Reptile

SunriseReptile.com
...or maybe I`m going off the deep end?

If so, then I'll take my leap just as soon as you're out of the way. :main_laugh:

Seriously though, anyone with an ounce of common sense will wait until the female has finished laying before attempting to sell her. And if they can't wait, then the fermale probably isn't worth purchasing. I myself would look past an add where a gravid female was being offered. :main_no:

shadowx362

Excellent Geckos
I totally agree with this! I mean, why would someone want to sell gravid females?? I guess its not far from calling them " hatch your leo kit", similar to sea monkey kits.
HMMM, I wonder when these "people" are going to start selling gravid females with an incubator "all in one "kits" LOL....such an investment. UNETHICAL!
I've even seen cresty eggs for sale.....I don't know how that's suppose to work.....

mitchrobot

i was actually considering buying a gravid gecko from a well known reputable breeder (and someone who i have bought much of my stock from and havnt been dissapointed in the truthfulness of the sex and genetics)
seeing how well they pack their animals i honestly would not think twice about it. if shipping is done properly im certain the animal will be fine as long as egg laying wasnt obviously about to happen within the day or 2.

i do agree that it would be better to wait until the female was done, but i just dont think it would be that much of an issue if the packing and shipping was done right and the animal was in the right stage of the egg laying cycle.

justindh1

I don't necessarily think its a violation of ethic but i do think it says a little about the person selling it. They only thing that i have wrong with it is that they female could lay eggs being shipped or possibly be stressed out more because of it. Either way its not good on the eggs I would think. It might be smart to time it a couple days after a clutch has been layed. but still your taking your chances.

If someone wants to sell a gravid gecko then thats there choice. If you are buying it then you will want to ask them questions about why they want to get rid of it? Did it not fit in their breeding plans? Do they not have enough space? What are the genetics so on. Without asking questions about it then your just taking chances on good things or a lot of problems.

I would never ship a gravid gecko but if there was someone around me that could handle it, then i would sell it, if i needed to get rid of it. Thats the only way i would sell a gravid female, if i don't have to ship.

crotaphytidae

I agree, I'd never sell or purchase a gravid female. The stress would be to much and might end up killing her and the young growing inside her.

AllGeckos

NOGeckos
yea ive seen the ads for these animals, some of them i was thinking of actually purchasing, but couldnt force myself to have a gravid gecko put in a box and shipped across the country, how would you like it if you or your gurlfriend were pregnant and got stuffed in a box and thrown in a plane. its very unethical IMO

Am I wrong in assuming from this post that if your girlfriend is not pregnant then stuffing her in a box and shipping her is ok?

I'm not against it, but I'm not for it.

My thoughts as well, not quite sure how I feel about it

SleepyDee

A gecko that is already stressed due to laying eggs and has laid eggs is IMO is very inhumane. ALSO who wants to buy a gecko that already laying eggs from some Male that you know nothing about (unless you ask before you buy) . As ell as the gecko MAY not eat for days to weeks depending upon the stress level from the shipping.

No sense in putting any animal into harms way if it is able to be avoided.
seen this happen with increasing occurance now that the season is well underway here in the UK ~ with people either trying to sell already gravid females or (imo worse) selling females that have been mated and are gravid without telling the buyers (am currently caring for one such for a buyer who got caught out like that ~ she started laying eggs the week after they got her)
One when questioned acted as if they were doing people a favour *rollseyes*

I would never sell or purchase a gravid gecko.
ditto

Why breed em if you don't plan on keeping em?
my sentiments exactly

leonut

Am I wrong in assuming from this post that if your girlfriend is not pregnant then stuffing her in a box and shipping her is ok?

Now, I'm all for animal rights here and I agree it's wrong to ship gravid females, but let's not compare animals to people.

CSMGecko

Quality Leopard Geckos
I definitely don't agree with shipping, purchasing, or selling a gravid female. I don't even like to take mine out of the cage until they lay the eggs unless I have to. I couldn't understand why someone would want to consider taking a chance. It is known that the female only needs to breed once for the season. I could see someone purchasing a bred gecko to try and produce babies without a sire but not a gravid, ready to lay at any minute female. Just my thoughts.

AllGeckos

NOGeckos
Now, I'm all for animal rights here and I agree it's wrong to ship gravid females, but let's not compare animals to people.
I was quoting someone on their comparison..nonetheless to say your life is any more important than a gecko, or any living thing to me is wrong.

Visit our friends