Gravid Females?!

whkrazyk

Geck'd Out
Quote:
Originally Posted by whkrazyk
yea ive seen the ads for these animals, some of them i was thinking of actually purchasing, but couldnt force myself to have a gravid gecko put in a box and shipped across the country, how would you like it if you or your gurlfriend were pregnant and got stuffed in a box and thrown in a plane. its very unethical IMO

Am I wrong in assuming from this post that if your girlfriend is not pregnant then stuffing her in a box and shipping her is ok?

Of course, you've never done it? It's better than making a 4 hour drive with her in the car.

leonut

I was quoting someone on their comparison..nonetheless to say your life is any more important than a gecko, or any living thing to me is wrong.

So if you had the choice to save your mother or one of your gecko's lives, who would you save? According to you their lives are equally important. I don't mean to be harsh I just don't agree.

AllGeckos

NOGeckos
So if you had the choice to save your mother or one of your gecko's lives, who would you save? According to you their lives are equally important. I don't mean to be harsh I just don't agree.

I would choose my mother... But if it was a gecko or a random person I would choose my gecko

THE WHISPERER

So I think I now realize what some of these people are doing. They're buying geckos from reputable breeders, breeding them, getting a few clutches, then putting them back on the market. They keep their costs down because they aren't housing them for very long. They spend a couple hundred bucks on some desired morphs, sell them quick for a little cheaper than what the reputable breeder is selling them for (but making sure to advertise there name), and then running to the bank with the hundreds they made off of the hatchlings. Pretty good little sceme I think, you only have a few breeders on hand at a time, you have a constant streem of eggs, and you make a ton of dough, meanwhile letting the next guy worry about fattining them back up:D. personaly I think I'd rather buy from someone who cares a little more about there animals, than someone who's not willing to hold on to them until there seasons done. Sorry if I sound a little bitter but after getting a nasty response from someone I messaged about selling a 40gram gravid female. I searched around a little and it became apperent to me how they were working this and I figured this would be a good thread to get my vent on.

THE WHISPERER

Did you you accost the person via email and then did you get a nasty response? If so, that's what I would expect from stirring things up.

I messaged him and simply asked if the weight was correct or if it was a typo.Thought maybe he ment to put 50 or 60 grams.

TMF

TMF
My girlfriend and I ordered geckos from some guy on a forum who was stating he just had too many geckos. Needless to say the two girls came about to pop eggs out, within 3 days one laid hers and like 4 days later the other did. Needless to say we were mad as when we contacted to ask who they were in the cages with he stated "OH about three different males so it could be anything" its like thanks dude for being soo irresponsible for not only shipping these geckos from another state, but to not know who they were with previously.

Now we are afraid to order online anymore. We would rather wait for shows or go to our local breeder who gives us amazing deals.

N

Nigel4less

My girlfriend and I ordered geckos from some guy on a forum who was stating he just had too many geckos. Needless to say the two girls came about to pop eggs out, within 3 days one laid hers and like 4 days later the other did. Needless to say we were mad as when we contacted to ask who they were in the cages with he stated "OH about three different males so it could be anything" its like thanks dude for being soo irresponsible for not only shipping these geckos from another state, but to not know who they were with previously.

Now we are afraid to order online anymore. We would rather wait for shows or go to our local breeder who gives us amazing deals.

Its a shame that happened to you guys, but that shouldn't stop you from ordering from a breeder online. Aslong as you do your proper research then you should have no problem. When you start ordering from one breeder selectively your bloodlines slowly get less and less diverse. Now the fact that some would keep 3 different males together in with multiple females is just ridiculous, these are the kind of people that should take their poor ethics elsewhere.

crotaphytidae

I agree with Nigel, the breeder in question wasn't doing things responsibly but you shouldn't let that keep you from getting high quality animals as well as other bloodlines from breeders who advertise online. Just do your homework and speaking from experience I have been fortunate enough to do good dealings with all the people i have online. There's a lot more good, reputable breeders out there than there are bad ones.

KelliH

It's not something I would necessarily do, but I think as long as it's disclosed and both the buyer and seller are aware of the female being gravid I don't see it as a huge issue.

As far as the life of a gecko being of more value than the life of a "random" person... wow, I'm just not sure how to respond to such a thing.

stewy84

I had one bad experienc and one good. Bought a pair of aptors, nether was up to weight and one was graved, and I mean not up to weight. I didnt think a 38 gram gal could even lay. The bad part was I was never told about it. The good one was from a add from the classifieds here, so im sticken to the breeders here on these forums. I guess if you know what your buying its ok otherwise you wouldnt be buying it. Going to not partisapate in any of them sales tho.jmo

TMF

TMF
Yeah, I would probably order from most people on here, as when in doubt jump in the chat and see what others say about the person in question. As long as they are well known on here I wouldn't ever be afraid of ordering here.

Just bites that one bad experience could cause such heartbreak but with due time when we get our collection growing I'm sure we would order from someone on the forums.

Visit our friends