Grow tubs?

perfectsoldier23

What size do you guys use for your grow tubs for hatchlings?
It's my understanding that once the newborn is discovered in it's hatching container, it is to be removed so as not to disrupt the rest of the incubating eggs.
What size container do you place it in?

Also, I understand to separate males and females but I am going for a 50/50 male and female.
Can I keep them all in the same grow tub until they are old enough to be visually sexed? Will that be a problem?
Or, would you guys recommend this guide to separate males from females at a hatchling age? http://geckoforums.net/f133-hatchling-care/26095.htm

Thanks!

Phoenix1115

I use 6qt too. And I keep my clutches together until either one out grows the other, there is a medical reason to separate, or until about 25g

LepoInc

Until I reach the point where I HAVE to house them together, I believe raising them separately is best, for many different reasons. I've also noticed that geckos thrive a lot better when kept in smaller quarters, as they feel more secure and can get the best heat. Also, they don't have to search much, if at all, to find food.
I say do 6qt until it's obvious that they need more space.

Byost86

I have use 12 quart, and kept around 3 to 4 size compatible juvenile geckos in each of my tubs. This method has worked for me, I just feed my babies a lot to make sure no one gecko is over competing the others for food.

GreatGeckos

You can house geckos together until about 5 inches in total length. You need to sort according to size every 2 weeks. You sort according to size to make sure geckos will grow and feed properly, geckos can get overpowered by larger individuals and they will not get as much food it will also stress them out. Housing the same sized geckos until 5 inches in length usually is fine , but remember there is always a risk of nipped tails, dropped tails, and physical scaring when housing leos together...this is the reason I house all geckos individually unless its a pair of clutch mates 2 weeks old or less.

EDIT:

As for tub size 6 qt is fine to house a gecko in until it is 40 grams, after that it becomes a bit tight. However I have housed even larger geckos in 6 qt tubs and they do really well and grow well, its just to small for my personal preference and I only do this for short periods of time when I'm absolutely out of room. Geckos at 40 grams get switched to a 12qt tub where they will become a breeder and spend the rest of their time, or bought and shipped out to customers.

For females that I breed to the same male every year I make breeder groups which consist of 2-3 females and 1 male (male only stays in tub during the breeding season and then is switched to his own 12qt tub for the offseason).

Last edited:

Visit our friends