Had to put down one of my babies today

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
One of my baby Eclipses has had shed problems from the start, no matter how high I raised the humidity, or how often I soaked him it would never come off. He lost 8 toes, then stopped eating, and today he looked so bad that I made the decision to end his suffering.

For anyone out there thinking about breeding, remember that along with all the joy there are also times when you have to make hard decisions for the good of your babies.

DSC02798.jpg

Last edited:

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
Sorry to hear that, I know how you feel, I've had two so far hatch this season with deformities( lack of eyelids in one and a major eye deformity in the other) and had to put them both down. Like you said, it comes with the territory of being a breeder. Sucks, but it's reality.

leolover23

Sorry about your baby. At least, like you said, he won't have to suffer. I hope you're doing okay. :)

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
Had to do another today, a beautiful little Abyssinian Eclipse. He was a late hatch that I had to help out of the egg, and after a few days he started showing deformities in the toes, difficulty shedding, spinning in circles, and general weakness. Before you breed please be sure you can handle these decisions and follow through, it is best for both the individual animals and the species as a whole to cull the weak, deformed, and unhealthy.

DSC03356Medium.jpg

fuzzylogix

Carpe Diem
sorry to hear that man, im probably going to have to put down three myself that i just got. its a tough decision but best not to let them suffer

robin

Had to do another today, a beautiful little Abyssinian Eclipse. He was a late hatch that I had to help out of the egg, and after a few days he started showing deformities in the toes, difficulty shedding, spinning in circles, and general weakness. Before you breed please be sure you can handle these decisions and follow through, it is best for both the individual animals and the species as a whole to cull the weak, deformed, and unhealthy.

word of wisdom. sorry you had to put her down :(

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
Sorry to hear Tony. Do you think it's random, or do you have any idea what caused it, especially the spinning?

I have several other healthy hatchlings from the same pair, so it is probably just some accident of genetics or development in that particular baby.

Visit our friends