Handling baby Gargoyle gecko

melanie.jean.96558

I've had my gargoyle gecko for 2 weeks. He's about 6 months old. His move was a bit stressful to begin with (the reptile shop assistant dropped him!) but since then he has been fine, moving confidently around his tank once the light's off and eating well. But when I go into the room he scarpers behind his leaves. How do I begin to handle him? Thanks!

slym

I have had crested geckos for the longest time, I recently got a garg, and it is now accustom to me and handling is the same as the crestie i find.

I started getting my baby garg use to me by trying to give him some food off my finger inside the cage, soon after i would hold out my hand and the brave little guy would go onto it. So my best advice is just get him use to your scent.

DrCarrotTail

Babies are naturally skittish. If he didn't run I'd be a bit worried! I take my baby crested out out for short periods (a minute or so) once a week and by the time they're 20g they're pretty calm. I just wouldn't over do it and take it slow. He should eventually calm down tho some are spazzier than others!

melanie.jean.96558

To get to him I'd have to pick him up from behind his leaves - is this okay? The only food that tempts him out is live locusts, and I definitely can't hold one of them ha!

Visit our friends