hatched with no eyelids...

KaprikaAZ

yes. unfortunately, there were a few temp influxes i couldnt control.
its winter, and our neighber below a few times cranked up their heat real high, and i woke up to the apartment being 82 degrees. and id rush my incubator and see its been pushed from my steady 85 to 90. and since i sleep from 6am-2pm i have no way of knowing how long it was like that. i would adjust the incubator accordingly, but thats still hours worth of damage. and a few days on and off.

as for my incubation setup..ive found myself currently without a ACTUAL incubator, which before winter has not been an issue, i have a 10 gallon tank with red lamps over them, and inside the tank is a thick tupperware container that is sealed. inside is the appropriately dampened Vermiculite, with humidity and temp gauges.
and i check them every few hours daily.

i am planning to get a legitimate incubator come the upcoming couple of months, as i realize it is not a good setup for the wintertime. where temps are far harder to regulate

tb144050

In the "incubation" forum, irecently posted my data in a thread called something like "10gallon tank as incubator". i was using a rheostat and discovered the same temp variation.....1degree outside = 1degree change inside.....or similar. At the end of the trial, i agreed that a 10gal glass tank isnt stable enough. At the moment, i just finished testing a styrofoam cooler with rheostat tuned at 87degree max temp but i had a cheap on/off thermostat set at 83degrees. It has its own thread with a similar title "styrofoam cooler....". It had great results. With a room temp of 68degrees it still reached 83degrees. At a room temp of 80, the thermostat turned it off often. If the thermostat ever fails and goes wideopen, the rheostat limits the max heat to 87degrees.

The overall cost is similar to a cheap incubator, but theoretically much safer because ive read the cheap ones eventually go bad and COOK the eggs :(

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I highly recommend the cooling/heating incubators. Right now it's 14 degrees in tropical Boston. I have 2 incubators running in my living room (Reptipro5000, the precursors to Reptipro6000), one at 75 and one at 85.

Aliza

KaprikaAZ

yeah, the 6000 is the one im eyeballing. its perfect for what i need. as the winters are cold, and the summers are HOOOT
just gotta scrap together the $200+

Josh P.

I highly recommend the cooling/heating incubators. Right now it's 14 degrees in tropical Boston. I have 2 incubators running in my living room (Reptipro5000, the precursors to Reptipro6000), one at 75 and one at 85.

Aliza

Are you familiar with the LuckyReptile Herp Nursery II? It also heats and cools.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I just googled it to look at it. These heat/cool mini-fridge incubators all look the same on the outside. I have no idea if the incubator makers are just buying the shell from the same place and creating their own "guts" or if it's really the exact same incubator being sold by many different companies who claim it's original.

Aliza

Visit our friends