Healthy-seeming leo not eating

spitfire23bc

Hi, my 4(ish) year old female has been off her food for about 6 weeks. She seems pretty healthy otherwise - she's been to the vet, who hasn't been able to find anything wrong with her - xray and ultrasound showed no sign of impaction or egg-binding. She has plenty of reserves in her body and tail, so she's not in any imminent danger - she's lost about 5g in the last two weeks (currently at 72g). The vet's next suggestion is a possible blood test, although he isn't too confident that it will tell us much of use.

In general, she seems pretty happy and alert, although she's been more active during the day than she usually is, and when she sleeps she's been slumping only halfway into her moist hide, when normally she buries herself inside it.

I usually feed her crickets, with the occasional morio worm. She's been a bit of a fussy eater in the past (she's never touched mealworms, and went off locusts a while ago and won't look at them now) but usually she goes nuts for crickets after just a couple of days, so she should be pretty much taking my finger off by now! I've even tried encouraging her to eat with waxworms, but she turns her nose up to them, as with everything else. I've tried making a paste out of her vitamin supplement (I use Arcadia Earth-pro) and put some on her nose, but she refused to lick it off!

She's shed several times and has eaten some of the skin. Her most recent shed was only about a week and a half after her last one though, which is far sooner than usual. She's passing small amounts of urate, and defecating a little when she's eaten shed (and after having some vitamins from the vet).

Has anyone else experienced this? Or any ideas as to what might be wrong, or how I can encourage her to eat?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
My "gecko record" for a gecko not eating is 6 months! I had a male (who lived for 12 years and passed away unexpectedly for unknown reasons) who would not eat in the winter and would lose about 20 grams each winter--meaning that he would go from 85 grams to 65 grams! One year he didn't eat from November till May. If she's still active and curious, it could be ovulation or stubbornness. Just keep offering and try not to worry. A lot of mine are like that on occasion.

Aliza

spitfire23bc

That's reassuring, thanks Aliza. She did actually take a cricket last night, so I'm feeling a bit less worried.

Visit our friends