Heat lamp vs heat mat? The age old debate.

Madpdoug99

Good morning! This is my first post :)

I have had my leopard gecko, George, for maybe 2 1/2 years??? (picture attached of him!) When I was researching on how to take care of them, I bought a heat mat as opposed to a heat lamp knowing that they don't come out much, and when they do, it's most likely dark out. I've had a few trials & errors along the way, such as buying one of those green carpets. I realized that not only was the glass hindering the heat, but so was the green carpet. So I made the decision to up the thermostat's temperature a little as well as put paper towels down, knowing that the glass prevents some heat from getting through.

My brother had been hounding me about getting a heat lamp and went as far as to buy one for me. He thinks that George is too cold and that it will make him come out more. So far I've been using the heat lamp during the day and the heat mat at night to see if anything changes. One day I came home from school and my brother was very concerned because the heat mat wasn't on and it was ~75 degrees. I did have the heat lamp on. Now, that was my fault and I should have realized before I left that George hasn't been getting on top of the warm rock, so I should have just used the mat. My brother thinks that BOTH should be used as opposed to one or the other.
I have yet to see George come out on top of the rock where it is warm - maybe it's because he doesn't realize or maybe he's so used to the heat mat. Maybe I haven't given him enough time to adjust. I am not sure but I am leaning towards getting rid of the heat lamp all together again and keeping the heat mat. I tried to tell my brother that leopard geckos don't bask like bearded dragons or some snakes, they use the heat on their belly to help digest their food and such (I mean, of course, if given the opportunity of a basking spot and using a lamp as opposed to a mat they would certainly bask). And they are not very social animals so they do spend a lot of their time in their hides.

The pictures I have attached are of my current set up and a close up of the warm side with the heat lamp on. It's not the best looking enclosure but I do what I can with what I can afford.

So, what is the best solution here? Do I keep the heat lamp and "train" George to get on top of the warm rock, or do I keep the heat mat like I always have? I do realize that this is largely an opinion question but ever since my brother has voiced his concerns I have been second guessing my enclosure. I would like any suggestions, opinions, questions, constructive criticism... anything to help me out! I appreciate it!

Attachments

• 4644C08C-837D-4170-A756-50556E99E447.jpeg
    4644C08C-837D-4170-A756-50556E99E447.jpeg
    144.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-15 at 8.51.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-15 at 8.51.05 AM.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 3
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-15 at 8.51.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-15 at 8.51.21 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 2

KatieG

I recently bought my little guy (also named George lol) a deep heat projector and I've seen him more active than Hes ever been. He loves laying on the rocks and climbing his foam back drop. Apparently it mimics the warmth and energy that we get from the sun. So far he seems happy and has a better appetite. I have a dimming thermostat so he gets his night temp drop. I used to have a heat mat bit he just stayed in that one spot all the time. Since i got the deep heat projector hes all over the place exploring and digging in his excavator clay repti soil mix.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I think you had at the right idea about trying something to see if it made any difference. The person who posted above did try something (deep heat projector) and it made a difference. It's not clear to me if you've tried it adequately or not. I'm not familiar with deep heat projectors. It's worth doing a little research to see if these are any less likely to dry out the air in the enclosure, which is my primary concern with heat lamps. Geckos also have different tendencies. I have a bunch of leopard geckos. Some are out often and some hardly ever. In my opinion, it's a question of trying something and seeing what results you get.

Aliza

Visit our friends