Heat mat under tiles

Otter28

First weeks of being a leopard gecko owner havent been so great. The store told me to absolutely go for calcium sand, which turned out to be a huge mistake. So i had the idea to cut out a huge tile to use as substrait. its a little under 1cm thick so I think heating it with a heat mat wouldnt be a problem. But if I would put a heat mat under half of the tile, wouldnt the whole tile get warm? And if so, is that okay? Because ofcourse they need a hot and cold side, so maybe by doing this there wouldnt be a cold side anymore. I'm really lost at the moment about what to do, because obviously I want the best for my leopard gecko, but its quite hard.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I use ceramic tile for all my gecko enclosures, Mine are more like 1/4" thick (you'll have to do the conversion) and cover the whole bottom of the cage. The heat mat is on one side. It's warm where the heat mat is and not warm on the other side.

Aliza

Otter28

I use ceramic tile for all my gecko enclosures, Mine are more like 1/4" thick (you'll have to do the conversion) and cover the whole bottom of the cage. The heat mat is on one side. It's warm where the heat mat is and not warm on the other side.

Aliza
Oh okay thank you. How do you make a moist hide on tile substate though? Any suggestions?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
The easiest thing to do is to get a Gladware (or equivalent) plastic container with a lid. Cut a hole in the lid so the gecko can get in. You can use paper towels that you'll have to mist every day or so or you can use eco-earth.

Aliza

Visit our friends