Heat Rock's

Geckomaster743

Well I guess i'll be submitting some thing else. Heat rocks aren't too much of a danger until you realize if thats the only primary heat source it will become a danger. A lot of the time Heat rocks get VERY hot and if its your only heat source your gecko will not leave the rock. Over time that can cause deadly burns which can lead to bleeding and death. Its very painful to your gecko but they may not even realize. After a while they normally get dehydrated and begin to move less. I personally just prefer to use Lights with dimmers so i can control the heat and brightness.

Caleb C

Heat rocks aren't usually used with geckos, because they're not supposed to use as a primary heat source, and are known for getting too hot and burning them. The newer versions usually have something that makes sure there aren't any concentrated spots of heat, or shut off when they get too hot.

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
I think the key here is like Caleb said, having a device set (thermostat) to turn off the rock when it gets too hot.

Jetfire

Yet another reason why cresteds and gargoyles are destined to eventually dominate the reptile world-no need for all these different heating implements.....

Grimtoast

I used to use a heat rock as the only heat source back when I had a green anole. It was my first reptile, so I really didn't know what I was doing. He didn't live as long as I would have liked :(
Now I have a leopard gecko with a heat lamp pointing at an actual rock. Does that count? :p

Geckomaster743

I used to use a heat rock as the only heat source back when I had a green anole. It was my first reptile, so I really didn't know what I was doing. He didn't live as long as I would have liked :(
Now I have a leopard gecko with a heat lamp pointing at an actual rock. Does that count? :p
If a Heat rock is giving off its own heat its a Heat rock :p Just stick to using the heat lamps they are much better.

LeoLover1

3 Year Member
Yeah, that works great! Bet your gecko loves it!

Margi San Diego

Well I guess i'll be submitting some thing else. Heat rocks aren't too much of a danger until you realize if thats the only primary heat source it will become a danger. A lot of the time Heat rocks get VERY hot and if its your only heat source your gecko will not leave the rock. Over time that can cause deadly burns which can lead to bleeding and death. Its very painful to your gecko but they may not even realize. After a while they normally get dehydrated and begin to move less. I personally just prefer to use Lights with dimmers so i can control the heat and brightness.
My leopard gecko loves her small heated rock. I also have a heater so she moves around. I prefer the heaters to lights because sometimes they like it dark but still need the heat.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
You may want to check the heat with a digital thermometer with probe and if it's higher than the low 90's, attach it to a thermostat. I had a gecko that seemed to love to hang out under the planter I had on the hot side and then I discovered burns on her tail.

Aliza

Visit our friends