Heating Mat Question/Recommendations

helfrichj

Hello Everyone,

I have had my leopard gecko, Chauncey, for about two years, and I have had the same heat mat the entire time. I have a thermostat hooked up to it to control the temperature and keep it at 89 degrees F. However, lately it has not been getting above 84 which I know is too cold for a day time temperature and it has been like this for about a week. Even if I set the temperature to 95 (which scared me because I don't want to burn Chauncey) it still does not go above 85. The temperature probe is right on the map underneath my paper towel substrate so it is directly on the heat mat. Now I think Chauncey is fine for now because his poops are looking fully digested, but obviously want him to be as comfortable as possible. What are some issues that can arise from low temperature? Does anyone have any recommendations on a heat mat brand that controls temperature well? I think the mat could be going out on me after having it for two years. Or do you think it could be the thermostat itself? The thermostat is zoomed. Thanks!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I recommend Zoomed heat cable which can be installed with tape (get Nashua tape from home improvement store. It's the same shape as a roll of duct tape but it's essentially sticky aluminum foil with a peel-off backing. This works the best to secure the heat cable). I like it because it can be installed, then pulled off and installed somewhere else. For a 20 gallon enclosure get the 14' or 25' length (6' of each cable is unheated). If the thermostat doesn't work with that, then obviously you need a new thermostat.

Aliza

Visit our friends