Heating pad

Pb48

I have a 20 gallon long tank for my leo. And have a 6x8"(I think) zoo med pad. No temp gauge. In the past few months of owning a Leo I have got the tank good ..hot/humid/cooler sections. Night 75 to 80 & 85 to 90...never over 95 ...during day. She is comfortable...goes back an forth from hot to cooler. Spends time in humid. Eats good. All is well. I purchased a new heat pad recently (the one I had was borrowed from the people that gave away the Leo and tank to me.) I bought a larger pad for the 20g long tank. (8x12 I think?), No temp gauge just the pad. I will add the picture of what I bought... I have a zoo med digital thermometer so. Boy did the pad work!. The tank was like 97 last night on hot side after the basking light went off! I was afraid that when I went to work today and the light came on it would roast so I put the old pad back on. I was hoping for any suggestions someone might have on me still being able to use this new pad. Eventually I want to buy a heating pad that comes with a thermometer hooked to it. But if anybody had any ideas on how I can use this... maybe stuck to the bottom on hot side but coming out the bottom and up the side of tank, so it doesn't go to middle of tank? Or leaving it so only half is attached to the bottom? Anyway thank you

Attachments

• 20221017_152949.jpg
    20221017_152949.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
You need a thermostat. The ones from Zilla (google "Zilla thermostat") are reasonably priced and work quite well. That way, you can set the temperature, check it to be sure you don't have to adjust up or down, and leave it.

Aliza

Pb48

Thank you for your reply. Yes I do know this. I said as much in my post that I should have bought one that came with the thermostat and that is something I would like to have but I hadn't thought of that when I bought this one. I do agree with you although it did not answer my question. But thank you

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Sorry I missed your question. Are you asking how you can use the smaller heat pad, since you'll be using a larger one as a main heat source? If that's the question, then one thing you can do is to build a second level using PVC pipes as the legs and tile as the floor. I have a 12"x12" second level with 2 pieces of tile sandwiching a heat mat between them. The humid hide at the bottom of the cage doubles as a ladder for the geckos to climb up to the top. If you're asking a different question, you should probably clarify.

Aliza

Pb48

Thank you for your reply. And it's okay sometimes I can be wordy in my posts and easily misunderstood. I love the idea of the Pvc pipes! I was actually talking about using the heatpad I bought and returning the smaller heat pad that I've been using to its previous owner . when I had originally got my gecko if she came in a 10 gallon tank and I have upgraded her and I'm still using the smaller heat pad that I took. I wanted to return it. thought I'd buy my own and when I did I purchased this larger one. When I put it under the tank (covering the hot side towards the middle of the tank), boy did it heat the tank up. And then that made me nervous because I had had her perfect with her heat and cool and didn't want to hurt her. I think I need to just suck it up and buy the heat pad that comes with the thermostat I like that so much better. I just don't dare to use this one now. Either that or use the PVC pipes like you said to try and make it so that it's not so hot in there. Maybe I can sell this one I bought for half the money and just get a better one anyway thank you very much for your suggestion!

Pb48

So I really appreciate you guys and me being able to throw this stuff out there for opinions, suggestions... I am thinking either a heatpad thermostat for the 8x12 pad I bought or a new heatpad with a thermostat built in...I have 2 pictures here and was curious which one would be better. Thank you for your thoughts

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
If you've already installed the heat pad and you think you could be happy with it, why not just buy a thermostat to go with it? That way you'd have a thermostat that you could use at a later date with a different heat mat if necessary.

Aliza

Pb48

I didn't post the two pictures of the two things I'm interested in to buy sorry about that.. my question was which one?

Attachments

• 20221019_160614.jpg
    20221019_160614.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2
  • 20221019_160512.jpg
    20221019_160512.jpg
    871.2 KB · Views: 2

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
If you already have the heat mat, I'd recommend going with the one that's thermostat only. That also makes it more versatile because you can use it with any heat mat or heat cable.

Aliza

Pb48

If you already have the heat mat, I'd recommend going with the one that's thermostat only. That also makes it more versatile because you can use it with any heat mat or heat cable.

Aliza
That's what I was thinking as well. But I wasn't sure. Thank you!! That's what I'm going to do

Visit our friends