Heating problems

tenaya627

Hello! I recently got a new leopard gecko. 2 days ago actually. Ever since she came home, the heater has been extremely faulty. I have it plugged into a thermostat, and the thermostat feels generally correct (based on how the ground feels). I’ll set it for 87 and 10 minutes later, the probe will read 90. Great right? I come back a half an hour later and now it’s 103. I’ll lower it a couple degrees and then boom the probe will read 82 . I’ve decided to buy another heater. I was wondering, if I get an infrared thermometer gun and check the temp multiple times daily, do I need a thermostat? Thanks.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
If you're contemplating trying to go without a thermostat and checking the temps multiple times, how about if you set the thermostat at a particular temperature and check the temps multiple times that way? The problem is that most thermostats (the cheaper ones) are on/off thermostats: when the temp gets to the right place it turns off until the temps cool down enough to turn it back on. There may be a delay in how long it takes for it to turn on because otherwise, it would be turning on and off every minute. Are you sure you're measuring the temp in the same place every time? The heat mats often have hot spots. I have also found that some of the heat mats take a few days to get up to max temp even though the instructions say it will be at max temp in 6 hours.

Aliza

Visit our friends