Heeeeelp!!! (large yolk)

lizrd_boy

Ok so I made a HUGE mistake... my gecko egg was not hatching when I thought it would and I cut it open and the hatchling is small and has a big yolk sac. What do I do? Is the yolk sac also organs or just yolk? I'm such an idiot why did I do that??? I'll never forgive myself if he dies it will be all my fault.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It's likely just yolk. Sometimes geckos hatch with the hole in their bellies not closed up and their intestines are protruding. There's usually nothing that can be done for them, and they don't survive. If it's yellow, it's just yolk. Put the gecko in an enclosure that you can keep moist. Sometimes even geckos that hatch by themselves have a yolk sac. The gecko may absorb it or it will dry up and fall off. Wait until it has shed for the first time before trying to feed it.

Aliza

lizrd_boy

Last night the yolk detached. I took it out and replaced the bloody paper towels (I had put im in a container with moist paper towels in the incubator) and he did survive the night.

Harbor Reptiles

Thanks! He should shed and eat for the first time today.
Phew. Glad that had a happy ending! Lol ok so for future reference, never cut Leo eggs. They’re not like ball pythons. Even if you cut when you think it’s time, you could cut a toe off or something. I incubate at 88° and I’ve had males hatch at 32 days, and some at 40 days.
Though 32 days isn’t very common. But most of my babies do hatch 32-37 days.

now I’ve got a breeder friend that incubates makes at 88° as well only her males take upwards of 50-55 days.

I’ve talked to other breeders and it’s not all just based on temp, it’s also genetics. Hence why mine hatch 32-37 days and someone else hatches at 55 days. Genetics also affects hatch time, not just the temp.

so if someone tells you that your gecko should hatch in 40 days. Take that with a grain of salt, because your baby still may need another 10-15 days.

Harbor Reptiles

These brothers hatched in 34 days. Both took a live meal worms within 4 hours of hatching.

Attachments

• C7461685-1D0E-4179-AD2A-646FECA445F0.jpeg
    C7461685-1D0E-4179-AD2A-646FECA445F0.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0

Visit our friends