Hello! First Time Reptile Owner Here!

KensonPlays

Hello fellow Gecko lovers! A couple days ago I got my first reptile, a Leopard Gecko that I've named Chomper. He's about 4 months old, according to the private breeder I got him from.

I hope to learn a bunch here, in addition to the Animal discord my friend runs to get as much help as I can. I will be posting a full tank setup soonish, once it becomes day again.

KensonPlays

Welcome! Nice looking gecko.

Aliza
Thanks. :D He's still settling in, and being pretty picky about food. Mealworms worked first day he ate, and now dubia's aren't interesting him. (Small local) Shop said they used crickets for all their geckos, but they're a bit too noisy (and smelly?) for me, since the only place he can be is in my bedroom/office space.

KensonPlays

He may take awhile to eat again, but don't worry, this is normal.

Aliza
Yea, he seems to be fine now, he ate a dubia yesterday (first one offered). I plan on some Mealworms today since I got a container of 100 of them to last a while.

EDIT: As of tomorrow it will be 1 full week that Chomper has been in his new home. He's barely eaten this whole week. I understand it can be normal, but first 24 hours I did not feed him, left him in the tank alone. About 25 hours after I got him, I offered and he ate 4 mealworms, assisted. Then for 2 days after that, only 1 mealworm during that time. He refused to eat for a few days after, then finally ate the roach yesterday. Today, (been doing feedings around the same time daily, 5-6p) he refused to eat again.

Starting to be a bit worried that he's not healthy or something. He's also doing lots and lots of digging.

Last edited:

indyana

Big adjustment with reptiles is learning that they don't eat regularly like mammals. They go through weeks where they go after anything moving and have months where they barely eat at all. It's more important to monitor body condition and weight and just ensure they aren't looking skinny and frail or deformed. As long as a leopard gecko's tail has some fat on it and they are moving around okay, just keep offering food and water. They will eat when they are ready. :)

KensonPlays

Big adjustment with reptiles is learning that they don't eat regularly like mammals. They go through weeks where they go after anything moving and have months where they barely eat at all. It's more important to monitor body condition and weight and just ensure they aren't looking skinny and frail or deformed. As long as a leopard gecko's tail has some fat on it and they are moving around okay, just keep offering food and water. They will eat when they are ready. :)
Seems fine from that pic right? He's like the same 'scale.' ;)

Visit our friends