Hello from Florida

rodion

Hi i recently decided to get a leo after moving back to the US from Israel & finishing my degree. I am currently pursuing security work and firefighting and Leopard Gecko care is merely a hobby.
I want to start slow so i so far have one female Raptor called Dido and will only expand 1-2 geckos depending on the upcoming reptile show but i am aware i need to quarantine the newcomer(s) if i get any for 3 months. I have done a lot of research before starting and i got my gecko from Gulf Coast geckos (the florida one lol) whom i highly recommend for her great breeding projects, full information on the geckos genetics&cate, & caution in delivering (wont deliver at temps too high/weather problems/many other conditions in genuine care for all geckos she sells, as well as ensuring my setup was proper for the leo Her dads side is 2 Super Giant Sunglows het eclipse and moms side is 2 snow raptors. I hope to give her a comfy and happy life and find advise on matters such as what kind of Male would you recommend from my ideas.

I was thinking a good male selection may be either a Tremper Raptor with red stripe /red eyed, Cremesicle, an orange sunglow, enigma, or maybe look for a SG raptor?

babygeck.jpg eyeshotgeck.jpg The baby pic comes from the very helpful breeder gcg who gave me good input on the housing matters (why i have no questions on that here) and the adult picture i took moving her cardboard cover that is usually blocking that hide for shade and privacy.

So let me know if you have a good idea for male selection and i would be even more interested if it was not one i listed.
Any questions feel free to ask also, i am happy to learn the most possible from exchanges here!

Last edited:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
welcome to GF. Nice looking gecko. Where in Israel were you? Any of your choices seem good for a male, though I'd be wary of an enigma. Do you really want to get into potential enigma syndrome?

Aliza

rodion

welcome to GF. Nice looking gecko. Where in Israel were you? Any of your choices seem good for a male, though I'd be wary of an enigma. Do you really want to get into potential enigma syndrome?

Aliza

Thank you! At first i was working as a Gardener (very excellent bio diversity, plants looked like aliens & many huge lizards, snakes, and fat turtles) in a Kibbutz in Haifa but the Ulpan program ended so I moved to Eilat while working in the hotels as a Waiter. Personally i preferred the Kibbutz, interesting mix of communist and capitalist ideals and i gardened mostly with neighboring bedouins with great sense of humor.

So the Enigma subject is something i really never understood, some people told me there are efforts to preserve the morph that have been successful but it seems like a big task as i heard about the problems with the morph are widespread. IT is a shame because they are beautiful so maybe with careful breeding they can be viable?

I thought if i used a reputable breeder perhaps they could give information to ensure none of the family of the Enigma had it but after reading your post and doing a bit of research it seems it is a dominant trait that could lie dormant some generations....

I can see it is a good point though that a new leo owner could get over my head if it ends up afflicted, so i think i will prioritize the other morphs.

rodion

I decided that it would be better to have a friend for a gecko as she is about 3 months than to just raise 2 geckos in separate tanks as well as it being difficult to find the precise male i am looking for (decided extreme raptor or some type of big red eyed fellow) I appreciate the advice on Enigmas and i will avoid them in my tiny colony.

So at the daytonna reptile event i found a very pretty Tangelo that caught my eye, a 6 month female that i will be able to move in with Dido once quarantine (a month to three months) ends. It is kinda funny because Jello (i named her that) is 54 grams but Dido is like 49 grams and only 3 months!

i am wondering if you or anyone can give me tips on what to look for during quarantine by the way? What is bad stool? What is bad sign? Should i pay to bring her to vet?

Here is the Jello Geckanoid, living in a 20 gallon next to the 40 gallon containing my other gecko Dido, pictured on a hammock
jelloeye.jpg
Jello.jpg sleepingjello.jpg hammock.jpg

Last edited:

Visit our friends