Hello! I want a Leo so I am doing my research and I have a few questions.

Leolover444

I have some questions about some species, what are the different types of leopard geckos some species and what are their differences in behavior and how they look? I want to get the best subspecies possible!

I also have some questions about UVB/UVA. Are they necessary, and what is the difference in between the two?

Another question I have a question about substrate, what do you guys think about the substrate I’m not sure what to think because I have not fully researched but I would like to know if possible

sorry for all the questions but last I want to ask aboutReputable breeders for leopard geckos. I don’t want to get my leopard gecko from a local pet store that is a big patch i reputable breeders for leopard geckos. I don’t want to get my leopard gecko from a local pet store for obvious reasons. I just want a simple I just want a simple leopard gecko that is yellow and spotted with black/brown.

Thankyou for your help!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Your best bet for some of your questions is to google. Here's what I came up with about leopard gecko subspecies: http://www.geckosetc.com/available_wildcaught.html
A better thing to research might be what leopard gecko keepers call "morphs". This refers to different ways that the most common species of leopard geckos look based on dominant, recessive and co-dominant genes. Some examples of this include: albinos (no black pigmentation), Murphy's patternless (hatchling beige pattern that fades with age resulting in a yellow gecko with a white tail), snow (hatches black and white instead of black and yellow, though it often gets yellower with age).
To find out about the different morphs, once again, google "leopard gecko morphs".
Also google "reptile shows" in the state where you live. There are probably no reptile shows now for obvious reasons, but you should be able to find the show websites and then look at the vendor lists on the website. Then check out the vendors' individual websites if they have them. This should give you some idea of who to contact about getting a gecko.

Aliza

Leolover444

Thank you! I will definitely be doing more research!:D And also thank you for the website I will definitely look at that!

ragateway

I have some questions about some species, what are the different types of leopard geckos some species and what are their differences in behavior and how they look? I want to get the best subspecies possible!

I also have some questions about UVB/UVA. Are they necessary, and what is the difference in between the two?

Another question I have a question about substrate, what do you guys think about the substrate I’m not sure what to think because I have not fully researched but I would like to know if possible

sorry for all the questions but last I want to ask aboutReputable breeders for leopard geckos. I don’t want to get my leopard gecko from a local pet store that is a big patch i reputable breeders for leopard geckos. I don’t want to get my leopard gecko from a local pet store for obvious reasons. I just want a simple I just want a simple leopard gecko that is yellow and spotted with black/brown.

Thankyou for your help!
Hello Leolover444
I can speak to the substrate question that you raised. I prefer to use just plain old paper towels. They are cheap and are easy when you clean your cage. I would not recommend sand as they tend to eat some along with their food and they can develop painful intestinal problems as a result. I know it is not as cool looking as sand or tree bark but I have found it is better for them. Hope this helps
ragateway

Leolover444

Hello Leolover444
I can speak to the substrate question that you raised. I prefer to use just plain old paper towels. They are cheap and are easy when you clean your cage. I would not recommend sand as they tend to eat some along with their food and they can develop painful intestinal problems as a result. I know it is not as cool looking as sand or tree bark but I have found it is better for them. Hope this helps
ragateway
Thank you! I will not be using Sand, calcium sand, or tree bark! I have heard lots of bad things about the sand and calcium sand especially. Paper towels seem like a great idea! I am 11 so I need any extra tips I can get LOL. Thank you for your time and effort.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
My favorite substrate is ceramic tile. I go to the home improvement store and buy cheap tiles that cost less than $2 each. There is some tile cutting involved and some stores will do that for you. They won't tear like paper towel and the gecko and the things the gecko eats can't hide under the tiles.

Aliza

Visit our friends