Hello! I Want To Know More About Geckos!

geckofan1961

Hey everybody! I've never seen a gecko in person before but I want to know more about them! I think the Geico guy is cute and I want to put him in a teacup. Can geckos fit in a teacup?

Well, this is the introduce myself thread, so here we go! My name is Jim Baker. I love freshwater fishing, I love Friends the show, and I especially love industrial music! If I ever get a gecko of my own, I'll probably name him Trent after Trent Reznor, haha! :D

Anyways, I want to know everything about geckos. Are they reptiles, or are they amphibians? What colors do they come in? Can they learn tricks? Will Dobby eat one if I get it? (Dobby's my wife's chiahuahua's name, I think it's from Lord of the Rings? The kids named her, I don't know.) If the pet store downtown's still open when this whole pandemic's over, maybe I'll go adopt one. Unless - do local pet shelters have an amphibian section? (Or are they reptiles...)

Please let me know everything I can know about geckos! This is a free country, well, I want freedom of information! Haha! Keep on livin' in the free world!

Love, Jim

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
Heyyyy Jim Welcome to the Forum!

Geckos are a lot of fun! Just don't blame us when you find yourself with a reptile room full of geckos in a few years time

geckofan1961

Heyyyy Jim Welcome to the Forum!

Geckos are a lot of fun! Just don't blame us when you find yourself with a reptile room full of geckos in a few years time

Please don't tell me wife... I don't think she's ready for the commitment! :oops::oops::oops:
No but seriously, she said if we want to, I can get one, but she'd be the one to name it. It's only fair, I named the boys after all. Logan and Scott. Guess it's her turn!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
If you know about dogs, you know that if someone said "tell me everything about dogs" you'd have to write a book! Geckos aren't just like dogs, they're like dogs, wolves, coyotes . . . you get the idea.
If you really want a gecko, you'd probably be best with the type that's easier to care for. The geico gecko isn't a real gecko, but it's based on a day gecko which actually can't really be handled and isn't a good beginner gecko.
Do some research about these geckos: leopard gecko, crested gecko, gargoyle gecko. Look at pictures to see if that's what interests you. Read about how to take care of them and then come back here and ask questions which we'll be happy to answer.

Aliza

Jenna W

Hey everybody! I've never seen a gecko in person before but I want to know more about them! I think the Geico guy is cute and I want to put him in a teacup. Can geckos fit in a teacup?

Well, this is the introduce myself thread, so here we go! My name is Jim Baker. I love freshwater fishing, I love Friends the show, and I especially love industrial music! If I ever get a gecko of my own, I'll probably name him Trent after Trent Reznor, haha! :D

Anyways, I want to know everything about geckos. Are they reptiles, or are they amphibians? What colors do they come in? Can they learn tricks? Will Dobby eat one if I get it? (Dobby's my wife's chiahuahua's name, I think it's from Lord of the Rings? The kids named her, I don't know.) If the pet store downtown's still open when this whole pandemic's over, maybe I'll go adopt one. Unless - do local pet shelters have an amphibian section? (Or are they reptiles...)

Please let me know everything I can know about geckos! This is a free country, well, I want freedom of information! Haha! Keep on livin' in the free world!

Love, Jim
Hi! I have a leopard gecko and he is pretty big now. He is 7 months old. When I first got him, he could fit in a teacup. But after about 3 months, he got bigger and could not fit in one. So, I would say get one and see how he does. About the dog thing, my dog tried to eat him when we first got him, but after a little, when she knew it wasn’t food, she stopped. She is a Pomeranian. Geckos are reptiles, amphibians like the water (geckos don’t). And the colors, they can come in many different colors depending on the breed. Mine is yellow with spots, I saw one at the pet store that was brown. I would say try and get one, and if you are not satisfied with it, see if someone would take it from you.
I hope you can get to try one! They are really fun!
From,
Jenna

Onelifegecs

Geckos are super fun. Just make sure you do tons of research about the care and specifics of the gecko you decide to get. And if it all possible avoid chain pet stores like petco and petsmart to get your new reptile. I currently have a leopard gecko. Hes just a plain leo thats yellow with brown spots. I got him about a year ago from a Repticon event which is just a bunch of reptile enthusiasts coming together and there are tons of reptiles and reptile products there. I did tons of research on their care before I got him and has his tank set up before i went to the event. You want to avoid big chain Petstores because the animals that come in tend to be sickly due to improper care at the petstore and at the reptile mills the animals come from.

Visit our friends