Hello, New Reptile Owner With Little Experience.

Buttons

Hello my name is Mike, I am turning 28 within the week and i wanted to explore the world of reptiles as i've always found them to be such beautiful creatures and since i have such a big heart for animals i did loads of research and found myself purchasing a Crested Gecko about 3 days ago for my birthday this year.
My gecko's name is Buttons (Unknown Gender but will refer to the gecko as a He in the post) Anywhoo! He is currently pushing 2 months the breeder i got him from said that Buttons hatched on the 28th of Aug 2020. The breeder provided me with loads of Repashy Crested Gecko Diet (Mango Superblend) which i don't see Buttons eating much of honestly (sadface) So i will be picking up some calcium supplement/powder to put on his crickets. So far i've come across a few minor issues since getting him as his fogger died instantly and i am awaiting a replacement from petsmart. So constant misting and such has been a thing (constant as in every 3 to 4 hours minimum every 2 hours to keep the humidity between 50 and 60%) oddly enough it seems i had bought the only fogger at the petsmart when getting Buttons and they didn't have any other in-stock and where i currently live there aren't any other pet shops that sell such items so when i went into petsmart to return set item for a replacement they made me aware that either they can give me a refund or replace it within the week. Now my other issue is Buttons is a very picky eater haha.. He isn't a huge fan of meal worms but will eat them he absolutely loves crickets! and as for the Repashy again i don't really know how much of it he is eating although tonight i put it in a smaller bottle cap so it would fill to the top and when i wake up i hope to see a good bit of it gone that way i know he is eating healthy :) Other wise when i go to pickup the new fogger this week from petsmart i plan to grab up some calcium powder to put on his crickets just to make sure he doesn't get MBD. I want my little buddy to grow up big and strong and i'd like to avoid any and all health issues that Crested Geckos can get.
As for handling i don't handle him much as he is still small and i don't want to accidently hurt him. Although!!! he absolutely loves my fingers :) Due to me having to clean out his paper towel 2 times a day as it does soak up a lot of the water that drips from the walls and i don't want him having to walk on wet paper towels all the time or at all for that matter while i clean him paper towels out he just loves to get on my hand and sit on the tip of my fingers :p its the most adorable thing ever. I hope he grows to bond with me in a sense ^_^ but currently with the whole humidity issue i have an alarm set on my phone to wake me every 2 to 3 hours a night in order to check the humidity. So far i am having absolutely no issues with the temps in the enclosure. which is constantly between 70f and 80f durring the day it stick more towards the 80 but never goes over 80f which is amazing ^_^ his favorite spot is behind one of the prop tree's he will sit there and relax for most of the day. Although on day 1 he slept on the glass and my girlfriend made fun of him because of how he slept. I will include this photo on the post ^_^ anyways if anyone has any information they would like to share with me in regards to caring for a Crested Gecko i would love to hear it. Again i am a very dedicated owner and i want to do whatever i can to provide for my little buddy. ^_^ I will also post photos of his temporary enclosure i didn't want to put him in something to big to start as he is very small although i plan to get a nice tall tank once he starts to grow a bit more. The tank i am using is one of my god fathers old Leopard Gecko tanks he figured it would work fine for my Crested until he grows up a bit more but he also recommended i switch to a tall tank once Buttons grows up a bit more. Anywhooo i can't wait to meet some/all of you and i hope to make friends here who also share my passion in taking care of these little guys ^_^ as i said i will include a few photos of my little guy sleeping and i will also post the photo of his current enclosure (sorry for the water spots due to misting a lot the spots are getting bad even tho i wash the window down with paper towel and warm water the spots just come right back after about 5 to 6 hours and due to how much misting i have to do right now i can't keep using distilled water as that would be way to many trips back and fort on food to the food basics)

Attachments

• Buttons.PNG
    Buttons.PNG
    369.7 KB · Views: 4
  • image0 (1).jpg
    image0 (1).jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 4

Visit our friends