Hello! New to the forum, new to keeping geckos.

Shieldsy

Hi Geckoforums! I'm new to the ins and outs of keeping geckos - new to keeping reptiles in general, actually - and thought it would be a good idea to join a forum so I can learn and have a community to talk to about the subject.

I own a juvenile leopard gecko named Leto (named after the character from Dune). He is recovering from severe hypocalcemia/MBD, presumably due to neglect by whoever was in charge of keeping him before I brought him home. With the help of a vet specializing in exotics, a few weeks of calcium injections, painkillers, casts on all four of his legs, and oral calcium medication, he's almost 100% healthy! It's been a struggle getting him to this point, especially as a brand new reptile owner, but it's been so worth it.

Here's a picture of him sitting on my laptop. He loves resting his belly on the warm parts as I'm working.

12236715_517042368471627_655788944_o.jpg

So far it's been an absolute delight having him, and I look forward meeting you all and learning more about how to take care of this precious little guy.

(Outside of gecko care, I'm also an aspiring artist straight out of college, majoring in game design. I currently run a sci-fi fantasy webcomic that updates every other Wednesday. Check it out if you like comics!)

Last edited:

Shieldsy

If you need help with feeding. (Mealworms wise.) watch this: *video*

:)

Thanks for sharing! Leto actually doesn't like mealworms so much, but he goes nuts for crickets, dubias, and waxworms. He does this great little thing where he wiggles the tip of his tail really fast just before he strikes. Anyone else's gecko do this?

JessJohnson87

Welcome and he looks fantastic! Have you tried hornworms with him? They're the better kind of gecko crack versus wax worms. My Leo does the tail wiggle thing when he's hunting crickets.

Shieldsy

Welcome and he looks fantastic! Have you tried hornworms with him? They're the better kind of gecko crack versus wax worms. My Leo does the tail wiggle thing when he's hunting crickets.

Never tried hornworms! They're huge, aren't they? He's only 14 cm long, so I was afraid they'd be too big for him.

JessJohnson87

They can get huge, like 4 inches. You could try to find some smaller, if not, phoenix worms are great to. Keeping hornworms smaller requires a cooler and keeping the temps at 55*, it slows them down but keeping them in a fridge will kill them.

Shieldsy

They can get huge, like 4 inches. You could try to find some smaller, if not, phoenix worms are great to. Keeping hornworms smaller requires a cooler and keeping the temps at 55*, it slows them down but keeping them in a fridge will kill them.

Perhaps I will give that a try! Thanks for the advice! :main_thumbsup:

ARobles420

I love his colors! I am completely new to this myself. But I already love my little geckos so much. Im currently feeding them the little mill worms. I want to try crickets though soon!

Visit our friends